HP indigo 3000 vs Heidy QMDI?

kristianeyman

hello, not sure if this is where this belongs. i would like to know if anyone has a opinion of the indigo 3000 vs a heidy QMDI? i would like something for overflow of my xerox digital machines (200+runs) and looking on the used market. i have a ran DI's in my past so no problem there (although they can be finicky) but what would i be up against with the indigo 3000? thanks, kristian!

indigo and xerox would kind of be redundant, indigo is not going to be cost effective for static runs over 500, so it sounds like QM-DI would be a better fit because you could do long run's as well as spot work which would be a good compliment to your digital equipment, if you put in a indigo you are just going to double or triple your capacity for short runs, if you start doing runs over 1000 with indigo you are just going to price yourself out of the market with your consumable costs...

Well indigo for sure, as the model is specially designed for 500+ runs, and as you said, you have same number of the runs..it would be good for you

Printed Labels

If we are talking from a price per click or impression (12x18). Where does the indigo outweigh the DI or vice versa? Let's take for example that even on my DI I dnt much go over 1000 impressions (either letter or 13x18) which would be the better for someone in my certain circumstances?

Talking 1 sided 12x18, I would figure $40 for plates on DI, for indigo if you are on a click program .08x1000=$80, we have offset and indigo and the cutoff is usually 500-750 impressions, if it is static work and more then 750 it gets very expensive on the indigo and you will also have memory problems if you are running high quantities of static work then try to switch to another job your pip or blanket may not give up the image from the static job, that is why they are best for variable jobs or high volume of short run work... and Indigo will beat QM-DI on costs if you do high page count, small qty work, because using price example above if you had 100 - 16 page books = $80 on indigo, but plates alone not counting imaging time and run costs would be $320

So if I understand you correctly, the indigo will burn e image into the blanket if you utilize it for long runs >1000? I am looking for a solution to pick up the slack for my other two xerox digital machines, but not sure if this is really a solution. It might be better to buy two additional 240's and nit worry about the additional machinery. I have been told that you can get the 4x0 12x18 click down to .03-.05 per sheet if you seek out all your consumables through eBay and other online sources. For my particular environment many offset shops are offering business card 4x1 with uv for $11, club flyers for $25 and so on, so I don't want to be in direct competition, I want to be able to offer a different solution. What do you things the best choice for long term growth? Is a indigo 3000 going to take me further and be more cost efficient than say a 5000ap? Thanks!

Don't get me wrong, Indigo's are great, but a used machine that is not on a click program, you would really need someone who can keep the wheels on it and everything that breaks you will pay big bucks for parts. I thought you wanted to be able to augment your capacity by doing longer runs, if so QM-DI are VERY cheap these days and can will eat up static work (with a good operator), but if you are just trying to add digital capacity then maybe stick with Xerox...

So if I understand you correctly, the indigo will burn e image into the blanket if you utilize it for long runs >1000? I am looking for a solution to pick up the slack for my other two xerox digital machines, but not sure if this is really a solution. It might be better to buy two additional 240's and nit worry about the additional machinery. I have been told that you can get the 4x0 12x18 click down to .03-.05 per sheet if you seek out all your consumables through eBay and other online sources. For my particular environment many offset shops are offering business card 4x1 with uv for $11, club flyers for $25 and so on, so I don't want to be in direct competition, I want to be able to offer a different solution. What do you things the best choice for long term growth? Is a indigo 3000 going to take me further and be more cost efficient than say a 5000ap? Thanks!

It doesn't burn the blanket, the imaging unit gets a "memory". A laser is used to write the image, consisting of charge particles. The drum will develop a memory (ie: stay charged) after many static impressions. The same thing happens on laser copiers and printers. With the DI you image a set of plates once per job, and you can run up to 25k impressions on that set of plates. So the initial charge to setup the job is high on the DI, if you're running 10k impressions, #10,001 will cost less than a penny for ink, electric, and maintenance (plus paper of course), whereas on the Indigo the first page out will cost the same click charge as the last page.

to be fair if you compare the indigo to the di in 1000 impressions it seems the indigo is more cost effective, and a faster turnaround? maybe in this instance a di would be overkill?

indigo
.05 cost per impression (buying from various sources consumable) .
1000 impressions
$50 total set up

DI
$35 for plates
$10 for ink
$45 total set up (maybe more?)

but set up and clean up all in all i would think would be longer on the di. which is really the better buy for long term business. 1000 impressions would really be the extreme amount that i would be putting on the indigo.

process,

i have had time to absorb the date and weigh the options/possibilities on both. i think with buying consumables abroad (no xerox click or maintenace program) i am better off with my 240's rather than a indigo. the only other problem is that the DI press i have in my other shop is problematic (go figure). so it seems cheaper and better from a p&l view to move my di press and figure out the problems that i am having with it. let me know what you think. thanks, kristian.

We have both a QM DIPro and Indigo. I have run both machines A LOT. The DI is a decent machine but, we have always had a stripping or toning issue which ever you wanna call it that makes it a pain the neck to deal with sometimes. We bought it brand new and the Heidelburg tech have never been able to get that issue fixed and on a good day when that doesn't happen you can get a lot of work off of it but, the indigos we have out work the DI 10 fold just about everyday. If you have a booklet to run Indigo hands down is your machine 10,000 sheets of the same thing not some much. The Indigo prints 4/4 at 900 finished sheets an hour but, they tell you 1800 impressions an hour for the Indigo and that is not incorrect but the finish piece work out to be only 900 impressions an hour. During a 12 hour shift we average about 95,000 impressions a shift. I don't know if this helped you any? You can email if you have anymore questions at [email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back