HP laserjet print problem

Robert carter

Hp laserjet 8000n trying to print a polyester plate. The problem i'm having is that I can't get the printer to print a 10 x 16 image, it always prints a 8.5 x 11 off of the side of the plate. I went into the control panel and set tray one for 11x17 but it doesn't work. I went into illustrator and made sure everything was set to 11x17 still do difference. any thoughts? UPDATE. put a tray from another machine and tray 1 says 11x17. I played with the settings in Ai got the image centered but it won't print any image past 8.5 x11 I don't understand this. I have been fighting this problem foe a year off and on. Pleas Help.

Last edited:
You sure you have the right printer driver installed on the computer?
Last time I dealt with an HP LaserJet 8000 was about 9 years ago, but I don't recall there being any tricks to get it to print to 11x17. We used it for proofing b+w booklets on 11x17 sheets all the time.

Ok, it's looks like you can help me. what you were doing then is what i'm trying to to now. I using the machine as a polyester plate machine for my printing press. and it won't print any image lower than 8.5x11 down the sheet, not on 11"right or 14" or 17" out out of any tray. I've checked everything I can find in bot the printer control panel and the Ai. software that I am using. Thanks for any help you can provide.

There's not really much other advice I could give besides making sure you have the right driver installed.
Go to HP's website, and find the driver for your operating system, and make sure that's what you have. As long as everything is configured right it should just be a matter of setting your page layout to 11x17, and printing. I have a feeling something isn't installed correctly.

I'm with PrintIT. Sounds like a printer driver issue. Especially since you swapped the tray out of another machine, and, the issue still remains.

I just printed a "Paper Path" sheet and it printed the whole image, so this printer WILL print a full image on 11x17. mac says it has the driver already on the Mac. It really only lets me print from the generic postscript driver though. Thanks for the continued help. Robert

That's probably at least part of the problem. Depending on what system you're running, you'll need to set up your printer to use its own driver. Try getting the proper driver from HP and starting over. You may have the wrong one or it may have been corrupted.

I just printed a "Paper Path" sheet and it printed the whole image, so this printer WILL print a full image on 11x17. mac says it has the driver already on the Mac. It really only lets me print from the generic postscript driver though. Thanks for the continued help. Robert

There's your problem - It shouldn't be using the "Generic Postscript Driver" at all.
Something is configured incorrectly if it's not using the proper HP driver. That's the problem you need to fix.

I think we are getting close. I HAVE deleted the old drivers and installed a new one, but it just times out and won't print. the generic one is the only one that will work. The 8000 doesn't have the Jet Direct card and the 8000 is connected to my mac thru ethernet. my mac is os 10.6.8. thanks everyone with your help we can solve this problem. Thanks Robert.

Printed a config page and it says that it does have a Jet Direct Card, so I set up the drive through the jet direct, and it says will retry in 30 seconds.

Looked in the printer dialog preview box and it only showed half of the image. Is there a way to adjust the settings in that box? I couldn't find any.

also saw this: Also looked at the "Job Info" page and it says letter. How to change that setting? Network host '192.168.254.4' is busy; will retry in 10 seconds...

Last edited:
I'm running OS 10.6 also. Did you set up the driver in Print and Fax in the System Preferences? Does it show up in the choice of printers in the app from which you are printing? Is your printer compatible with 10.6?

If all of the above is correct, it's time to contact HP for help. You just won't be able to use the printer without using its driver.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back