Hybrid Packz & RIP vs Esko

FlexoArt

Has anyone here migrated from Esko software to Hybrid? If so, can you comment on the pros and cons?

I'm currently using DeskPack with PowerLayout Client, PowerTrapper Standalone, Dynamic Barcodes. My RIP is Imaging Engine 18.0 and a stripped down version of Automation Engine 18.0 (DeskPack Server). I also use DotSpy for viewing LEN files and an Esko Spark 25x30 CDI. I really want to get up to date on my MacOS and Illustrator version, but I can't until my Esko software is updated. My Dell server is almost 8 years old and running Server 2008 R2, so Esko is recommending that be replaced if I want to run the latest 20.1 version of their software. If I update my MacOS, I will lose the ability to use DotSpy (it's 32 bit only).

Esko support is recommending that I upgrade to a complete version of Automation Engine (that includes a viewer for RIPped files). This would also require 5 days or 30 hours of training, along with a new server. I work alone at Flexo printer and really don't think I need a full blown Automation Engine (or the cost), so if I make a change to Hybrid, this would probably be a good time to do it. I'm not at all windows server savvy, so any software updates have to done by Esko with extra fees that are not included with our service contract – I don't know anything about updating databases, SQL Servers, etc.

In your opinion, do you think Hybrid's offerings would make more sense for a one man prepress show? I think I would be looking at Packz and a Cloudflow Standalone RIP. Is their software easier to maintain and do updates? Any issues with Esko CDI software compatibility using a Hybrid RIP?

Thanks

Has anyone here migrated from Esko software to Hybrid? If so, can you comment on the pros and cons?

I'm currently using DeskPack with PowerLayout Client, PowerTrapper Standalone, Dynamic Barcodes. My RIP is Imaging Engine 18.0 and a stripped down version of Automation Engine 18.0 (DeskPack Server). I also use DotSpy for viewing LEN files and an Esko Spark 25x30 CDI. I really want to get up to date on my MacOS and Illustrator version, but I can't until my Esko software is updated. My Dell server is almost 8 years old and running Server 2008 R2, so Esko is recommending that be replaced if I want to run the latest 20.1 version of their software. If I update my MacOS, I will lose the ability to use DotSpy (it's 32 bit only).

Esko support is recommending that I upgrade to a complete version of Automation Engine (that includes a viewer for RIPped files). This would also require 5 days or 30 hours of training, along with a new server. I work alone at Flexo printer and really don't think I need a full blown Automation Engine (or the cost), so if I make a change to Hybrid, this would probably be a good time to do it. I'm not at all windows server savvy, so any software updates have to done by Esko with extra fees that are not included with our service contract – I don't know anything about updating databases, SQL Servers, etc.

In your opinion, do you think Hybrid's offerings would make more sense for a one man prepress show? I think I would be looking at Packz and a Cloudflow Standalone RIP. Is their software easier to maintain and do updates? Any issues with Esko CDI software compatibility using a Hybrid RIP?

Thanks
Hello, I’m the sales manager for Hybrid Software in the central region and cover Minnesota. I would be more than happy to connect you with some of my customers that have made the transition from Esko to Hybrid so you can get an unbiased opinion. I do feel for a single operator environment a seat of Packz and a Cloudflow Rip is perfect. Please feel free to contact me outside the forum at [email protected] and I will give you these contacts to talk to and any other details so you can make an informed decision. Thank you, Brian.

FlexoArt we made this change about 5 years ago and we we're in the same situation with Esko. We did the switch to Hybrid and have been very happy with the switch. The rip is very solid and easy to use and change curves if needed. And Packz is very user friendly and the trapping is excellent and easy to edit. Laying out jobs in Packz vs PowerLayout is also much easier. Hybrid also uses Proofscope which would replace your Dot Spy for viewing Tif files. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Since we made the switch we are a huge fan of the Hybrid software and support team.

Prinergy PowerPack from Kodak also offers a suite of plug-ins for Adobe Illustrator. This includes layer based trapping, object and separation based screening, ability to import PackZ and Esko PDF's into Illustrator honoring layers, Warping, Flexo min dot tools to resolve scum or isolated dots bin images or graphics.

Prinergy is offered on premise or cloud based to reduce the cost of ownership and provide security never seen before in a production workflow environment. All Adobe based technology!

We offer a 30 day fully functional copy of Prinergy Tools for you evaluation.

Packaging Imposition: Order Wining Quotes, Job Card, Print ready nested layout in 1-Step. Intelligent automation - automated bleed resolution. PLs see vidoes attached.
To win more orders and enhance bottomline write to [email protected]

Attachments

• V_DiecutLayout_Estimation_55 sec.mp4
    14.6 MB
  • V5_Innovative_Features_48secs.mp4
    18.8 MB
Packaging Imposition: Order Wining Quotes, Job Card, Print ready nested layout in 1-Step. Intelligent automation - automated bleed resolution. PLs see vidoes attached.
To win more orders and enhance bottomline write to [email protected]
Hello Soft_Spam - I've noticed your most recent three posts follow the same guise as your other 18 contributions to the forum do, in that they are blatant free advertising for your company. I guess I'm not the only forum member who finds this sort of thing quite irritating, particularly when you could contact forum admin and take out paid banner/permalink style advertising. Just saying...

Hello Soft_Spam - I've noticed your most recent three posts follow the same guise as your other 18 contributions to the forum do, in that they are blatant free advertising for your company. I guess I'm not the only forum member who finds this sort of thing quite irritating, particularly when you could contact forum admin and take out paid banner/permalink style advertising. Just saying...
@Ynot_UK, Point noted. Will be mindful next time. By the way, can you spot our ad-banners? We have a few running here.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back