I hate my black screen angle...

TheProcessIStheproduct

Running a 210 lpi square dot out of trueflow, I have tried different shapes but they don't look great, so I like this screen set but black type looks very steppy because of the angle it is set to. I swap it sometimes with Cyan on certain jobs, but wondering what people are running angles at? And what is down side of permanently change it?

My angles are as follows:

C: 15
M: 75
Y: 0
K: 45

This keeps the screened black edges nice and clean. Haven't had any downside. I also make sure that for spot colors I also use the 45 angle for the same reason. (just be sure to watch out for any duotones that might have the PMS and the K on the same angle).

We have good success with the following angles (measure from cross machine direction):

C: 105
M: 135
Y: 90

Your angles and those of Dan Curry are the same . . . Only one quadrant of the circle counts so 0=90, 15=105, 75=135 etc. 45 degree is the most commonly used angle for K in offset.

Your angles and those of Dan Curry are the same . . . Only one quadrant of the circle counts so 0=90, 15=105, 75=135 etc. 45 degree is the most commonly used angle for K in offset.

Luc, you're correct that only one quadrant of the circle counts, however, if my math is correct (really not my strong point) 135°=45° not 75° (0+90=90, 15+90=105, 45+90=135)

Which means that BeauchampT is running Magenta and Black at the same angles - not a good way to print.

DCurry is running the classic N American screen angle set.

@ TheProcessIStheproduct - what do you mean by "square dot"?

BTW, this is what a Square dot looks like:
SquareDot.jpg

best, gordo

Last edited:
Screen Angles

Screen Angles

I'm using 240lpi with the attached screen angles. This is with Prinergy 5.1.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-13 at 4.24.47 PM.pdf
    9.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
I'm using 240lpi with the attached screen angles. This is with Prinergy 5.1.

You're running you screen angles at:

C: 75 (165° is the same angle as 75°)
M: 15 (105° is the same angle as 15°)
Y: 0

So you've effectively swapped your C and M angles.

You eliminate moiré in pastel greens but run the risk of moiré in pastel oranges (skin colors)

best, gordo

it is a screen set called:
TF1-724SQU01H-12
It is kind of a squared off round dot, NOT like the picture Gordo posted. But maybe the square feature of the dot does not like the 45 angle, which I assume is what it is set to but I cannot find a number for the angle, says screen angle: and you can toggle between C,M,Y,K? Anyone know Trueflow better then me?

it is a screen set called:
TF1-724SQU01H-12
It is kind of a squared off round dot, NOT like the picture Gordo posted. But maybe the square feature of the dot does not like the 45 angle, which I assume is what it is set to but I cannot find a number for the angle, says screen angle: and you can toggle between C,M,Y,K? Anyone know Trueflow better then me?

It's pretty lame. Screen makes a big deal out of their "extensive screening library" but the only info on their web site about their screening is:

"Conventional

Conventional
Overview
Product Overview (Conventional)

Screen offers a number of options for conventional screening."
(here's the link: SCREEN (USA) - Products - Conventional )

:-(

best, gordo

Last edited:
Great Respect to Gordo, but
Screen Dainippon offer really a great number of types of dot shapes, but the angles are constraint to C 15, M 45, Y 90/0, K 75. This is by default. In most practical cases these angles are Ok. There is some strange Japanese logic for this setting.
TF1-724SQU01H-12 means Trueflow1, 2400 dpi Square dot, High lpi, 12 bit coding, but the 7 means that all screen angles are +7.5deg for flexo. This can be the reason for strange looking.

Best Regards,
Ansoft

Great Respect to Gordo, but
Screen Dainippon offer really a great number of types of dot shapes, but the angles are constraint to C 15, M 45, Y 90/0, K 75. This is by default. In most practical cases these angles are Ok. There is some strange Japanese logic for this setting.
TF1-724SQU01H-12 means Trueflow1, 2400 dpi Square dot, High lpi, 12 bit coding, but the 7 means that all screen angles are +7.5deg for flexo. This can be the reason for strange looking.

Best Regards,
Ansoft

I just think that Screen should provide info regarding their dot shapes (Harlequin and Heidelberg do a pretty good job of this).
The 7.5 degree angle offset is not just for flexo. It's a way to add noise to the halftone screen in order to avoid single channel moiré.
Do you have an image of what the "Square" dot looks like that you could post?

best gordo

Last edited:
I almost think it was screens answer to high LPI screen sets like fuji's co-res, because it starts at 210, but goes up to like 360, I have tried 230, but never had the stones to go higher, worried I would get smaller dots at the price of less image depth...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back