ICC profiles for Kodak, Fuji

PDeuth

Hello,
I want to compare the Kodak Approval with the Fuji Final Proof. Are there stock ICC profiles available? I've searched Kodak, so far, and have found nothing: thought I'd ask about Fuji while I'm at it. Thanks.

The Final Proof uses pigment based donors, the Kodak Approval uses dye based. Usually pigment is more consistent and permanent then dyes but dyes can have a wider color gamut.

Thanks for the reply, Analyst. I'm looking for the actual ICC profile (file) for each system so that I can compare their gamuts, primaries, and secondaries. I can graph them, but it's not the same as seeing them in 3D using Color Think, and being able to easily compare the two systems with other output devices. If anybody has ICC profiles for these two devices, I'd appreciate having a copy of them. Or, if anybody has a link to where I might find them, I'd appreciate that, too.

Have you asked your individual sales rep from the respected companies? It might be your best bet, many people put their own twist on their color going to these devices and rarely use the standards. at least this is my own humble opinion.

Depends on Stock

Depends on Stock

I assume you mean the maximum achievable gamut? This of course is dependent on what substrate you are laminating onto. I've created a number of "raw" profiles for our Fuji FinalProof on different stocks and they all have a different in size & shape when viewed in ColorThink. By "raw" I mean all color management turned off (no DLP) and no dot-gain curve. I use these as source profiles to build custom DLPs.

I don't have a Kodak so I've never done anything similar for that, but if I did, I'd have to settle on a stock to use in both. Do you have a particular stock in mind?

Kodak Approval

Kodak Approval

Kodak Approval can certainly make use of ICC profiles in a color managed workflow, but there really aren’t stock ICC profiles. Kodak Approval offers a selection of color donor families, including several sets of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black plus Orange, Green and Blue (and White and Silver), which can substantially increase the achievable color gamut. Users are able to pick and choose in any combination among the several donor materials and are further able to specify and control parameters such as screening, density and dot gain (independently for each color separation) such that there really isn't a standard Kodak Approval setup which might then yield a stock ICC profile. However, ICC profiles can be built and edited with tools such as Kodak ColorFlow.

Alternatively, many Approval users rely on Kodak Recipe Color Technology instead to render spot or custom colors as actual, single-color separations (with their own screening, density and dot gain characteristics) on the proof, rather than using combinations of process colors, such as inkjet. Either way yields good results.

If maximum color gamut is a key objective, recently introduced Kodak Approval Packaging Color Donors are designed to yield the maximum possible color range, particularly useful for creating package design mock-ups on a range of substrate materials. Magenta / purple / blue spectral regions are particularly expanded with new Approval Packaging Color Donors.

Geoff Kolb
Global Product Manager - Halftone Proofing & Inkjet Media
Eastman Kodak Co.

I have sent letters to both Kodak and Fuji, asking if they have a "canned" profile on coated stock. I am aware of the versitility of the two systems; a common profile on common (coated) substrate is what I'm looking for. The substrate might match ISO/GRACOL/FOGRA specifications - why not? Perhaps neither company has such profiles to share with the public. That is why I've posted this message here. Thanks for all your input.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back