Ideas on Ghosting DI hard drive?

zcto7

My company has a Presstek / Kodak 5034 DI press, and when starting up the computer, it occasionally displays the blue screen of death and states it can't find the boot drive. The last disk check produced no errors on disk.

My question is, can I use Norton Ghost with the current hard drive and create an identical fresh hard drive like any other computer, or is the backup different with the Rip setup?

It's just a single drive, no raid or anything. I just want to make sure when it does go down I will be ready with a usable drive :)

It's just another computer like any other. It would probably be worth while to go ahead and replace the drive now. You could dupe it and replace it at the same time. Then you aren't faced with restoring from a potentially outdated backup.

...You could dupe it and replace it at the same time. Then you aren't faced with restoring from a potentially outdated backup.

Very true, i'll do that.

The only experience i've had with Norton Ghost is restoring from an image from DVD. Would ghosting the new (larger) drive be a 100% copy, or should I expect some configuring? ( It is just hooked up to a separate LAN using a standard gigabit NIC card, so nothing special that I know of )

Thanks!

Another problem I ran into......after I just purchased ghost :)

Can I use this on an XP machine and ghost and ghost the win 2000 drive to a new one? or does the DI computer have to be XP/Vista/7 for ghost 15 to work???

I assumed I could attach it internally and be ok :/

*edit*
to clarify, I was planning on removing the win2000 drive and installing that and the new drive into the XP computer, then cloning over.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back