ideas on using old negs

rbailleu

I am quoting a job for a customer that has the negatives from a book printed by another printer. I would guess that this was done on a 40in press so it would require restripping at best since we only have a 28in press. the problem is we don't currently have a conventional plate setup as we like most have gone ctp.

so do we restrip and hope for the best.

or find someone that can scan and copy dot the negatives.

Or see if the files that were used to image the film are available?

best, gordon p

the negatives where done in the early 80's and I am absolutely certain they were shot off of layouts done on a old strike on typewriter style typesetter. hand shot halftones. I would guess cut in half tones not double burned with rubilith cutouts.

You may have to ask around to see if anyone still has a Copy Dot scanner up and running to digitize those negs. A new thread with that question here in PP may help.

Your best bet would be to have someone strip and make plates the old way from the negs. Otherwise, this could be labor intensive if they want to digitize the book to make changes.

Printnewb

If you want to send me the film, I'll strip it for you and can even burn plates to ship back if you want.

I still have everything we need to work with film because once or twice a year film rears it's ugly head. I realize it doesn't help you in the long term but maybe gets you over the hump this time.

Back in the day we would burn the film to a print paper and scan that in........
This was when we switched to digital & stilll had jobs on film. As long as the job is still in register just keep it on the pins (I haven't used that terminology in a while)
I don't know if they still make it but it worked

For what it's worth?

For what it's worth?

Perhaps brokering/farming the job out to an old school shop that is equipped with a 40" press and all the plate-making equipment to deal with the job in it's current state?

Handle the postpress in-house maybe, maybe not?

Regards - OT

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back