Illustrator CS5 unusual problems :(

Eliox

Good day everyone,

I am facing some problems on my Illustrator CS5 concerning recoloring text objects and grouped objects,

when i select a text and choose a color, the text remains the same but I can see its color changed in the colors window, and once I create my text outline, it switches to the color I have chosen before and this is so annoying because sometimes i create outline a while artwork and there is a chance i get some text items broken/wrong.

P.S: if I double click on the text i am writing and highlight it all and change the color, it works pretty fine with me but this is not practical at all :(

Same problem with grouped objects.. I need to ungroup them all and select them all manually so i can recolor them :(

Any help around?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

I have to convert colors in Illustrator all the time. An easy way to do this is to use the direct selection tool to select an element in the color you are changing and then use Select/Same/Fill Color (or stroke color whichever the case may be) and then you can change your color on everything selected at the same time. This usually works like a charm. If you are going to create outlines anyway, I find it better to convert to outlines and then change the colors.

Eliox, this is normal in Illustrator (type colour). Notice that the selection tool and the type tool can show two different colour attributes. It has to do with the fact that type can have different attributes depending on whether you are selecting all the type as an object with a selection tool, or as individual letters with the type tool. To demo this for you try this: type some letters in. Select the type first with the type tool, and note the colour pallette colour. Then select the type with the selection tool and see that the colour is the same. Next, open the Appearance palette. Note that when you select the type with the type tool the flyouts in the Appearance palette options Add new Fill or Stroke options are greyed out - not available. Then select the type with the Selection tool and see that those new Fill options are available. You can add different fills and strokes in combination with effects to create specialized type effects like drop shadows, etc. But you can't do this cool stuff on an individual letter by letter basis. It has to be the entire line or block of type. So it is possible for type to have two different sets of colour characterisitcs depending on the tool used. If I want to use those effects on type, I first clear the colour originally applied with the type tool and then proceed to colouring with the selection tool.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back