I'm at a loss to explain this

dabob

I am having an issue with Helvetica Neue 77 Condensed Bold - when I type in certain character pairs they change into a special character, see attached image

I am so confused - if I use the glyph box to insert the letters they come out correctly . .. HELP

Attachments

• font issue.jpg
    font issue.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 191
Is this Indesign? Turn off "use ligatures" in the character palette if so and see what happens. My guess is the font data has ligatures for those pairs (which usually don't have ligatures) pointing to those glyphs. I think most fonts with ligatures just have fl, fi, ffi, and maybe ffl.

And the winner is . . . . drum roll please . . . .

WONDERINGS . . . WITH LIGITURES . . .

I knew that there was a button/checkbox somewhere that I couldn't find - looked in the preferences and no joy so off to my friends at print planet for the anwser - thanks guys

:):)

Those are ligatures alright, but not English ligatures. I wouldn't turn off ligatures in InDesign - your letterspacing / kerning in other documents will look funny. (Try "ff", "ft" etc.) Try to fix your language preferences.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back