Image cross over on single page pdfs

WendyM

Hi,
We receive final PDF's from customers for printing.

I have a situation where the pdf's have an 'overhang' from the page next to it in Indesign.
i.e left hand page bleeds to the spine (not across it),
right hand page has white area along the spine but there is approx .25 - .5mm image (plus 5mm bleed) of the image from the left hand page.

We use Preps for the Imposition. When these pages are imposed, we get the .25 - .5mm showing up in the white area

Can anyone please help me to solve? :confused:

(Sorry we don't do any page creation here so I can't work through it, but I would love to be able to help my customers so we don't have to deal with the problems this causes)

Wendy

Does the job perfect bind or saddle stitch? If perfect bind, then within Preps, you should be able to set up a custom bleed in your layout to turn off the bleed in the gutter area. Not sure exactly where, but if you highlight a left hand page, set the right bleed amount (which will be the gutter) to 0" and do the same for the right hand page (but on the right hand page, set the left bleed amount to 0". This will allow for no printing within the grind off area. If saddle stitch, Preps should already be stopping the bleed of any page at the gutter, so for it to be printing the .25" image onto the facing page is very unusual.

Last edited:
Are you using Independent Pages when you create your imposition?

good point. if you're using a custom layout, you will HAVE to tell Preps to turn off the bleeds in the gutter!
otherwise, you're going to have the bleed from one page overlapping the other.

If the job is saddle stitched and you are getting hairlines from the cross over. Make sure the settings inside the config profiles (.cfg) you are using have the following settings.

-PRECISION:YES
-ADJUSTPRECISION:0.0000

You could try a few different things. My first thought is that you may try using Pitstop to nudge the image over to the spine so that it does not wrap over to the opposite page. My second is to crop the page in Acrobat to trim one side so that the image does not show on the opposite page. Last you could offset your page centering in Preps.

Hi,

Thank you for your replies... Much appreciated.

Job finishing is loose - (so it looks worse)
Bleed is set to 0 at the spine.
Yes Preps is centering the impositions.
No we are not using independant pages.
Config settings - I have now changed these to suggested settings but this has not made any difference.
:) at least we are doing all of the above correctly :)

After further looking at the pdfs, (really zooming in) I think the problem is actually coming from Indesign.
When the pdf's are created as single page pdf's, the crossover is coming from there and showing up on the pdf prior to it going into Preps.
(Sorry if I set you off on a bum steer)

I have checked with the customer and she said the images were 'snapped' to the spine in Indesign.

Any further suggestions for Indesign?

You are all so sharing with your knowledge - Thank you!!!

Is the pdf the same size, plus or minus the bleed, as the Preps page? Even with the files centered in Preps it would show the contents of the next page if the pdf is smaller than the Preps page.

The PDF is the same size as preps page.
I think the problems is more where Indesign splits the spread to single pages when exporting/distilling to pdf

I would check the Indesign file. Sounds like your customer doesn't have the image stopping exactly on the spine. It's pulled across the crossover when you zoom in. We get this all the time.

Here is the best way I have found to fix this issue fast and easy.......
Open in Acrobat
go to TOOLS
Advanced Editing
Touch up object tool
highlight unwanted object and delete.
save as _ _ _

Thank you for your help.

I have spoken to the client and then have looked more closely and although they had the image snapping to the spine, there was then some sort of overlap with drop shadows.

It's a bit hard when we don't create files, but need to solve the dumb questions :)
Thanks again for your help.

I've done what Alan Thompson has suggested here..

I've also turned off facing pages in InDesign so I have a single page layout with no crossover problems at all.

There are a number of things that we do or the person who is suppling the PDF can do.

First when saving postscript or exporting single page PDFs from either InDesign or Quark, when in facing pages, you can set the Inside Bleed to 0".

At our end we have our Preps imposition templates set to not bleed at the spine and when we receive a PDF with pieces of image from the opposite facing page we remove them using PitStop.

Note this is only for facing pages, if you are doing single pages you want bleed on all 4 sides.

David

First when saving postscript or exporting single page PDFs from either InDesign or Quark, when in facing pages, you can set the Inside Bleed to 0".

Will have to get them to try this

At our end we have our Preps imposition templates set to not bleed (We do this) at the spine and when we receive a PDF with pieces of image from the opposite facing page we remove them using PitStop. (An option, but a pain for large documents - Wanna get them to get their files correct in the first place :))

Note this is only for facing pages, if you are doing single pages you want bleed on all 4 sides.
(Always good idea)

Thanks for your help :)

Wendy, another easy way to work around this is to slightly nudge the page over in Preps (double click on page - adjust "Page Position Adjustment" with a negative Horizontal amount for right hand pages and a Positive amount for left hand pages) to eliminate the little "slivers" that you see on the spine side of the page. If you have a decent amount of bleed on the page you can get away with this, and if the distance is small (less than a 1/32") you probably will not be moving folios and other consistently placed items enough to be noticed. Fixing the original file is, of course, the correct way to go about this, but when you don't create the pages that is hard to do.

You can, the problem is that you will have a PDF in which the live area is not centered. I think you're seeing the "bleed" from facing page documents. That's why I was asking if the pages are being centered in the imposition. If the pages are being centered, and are the correct size, the bleed in the spine won't show up on the final flat.

Happy to discuss it off-list. Just email me: [email protected]

You can, the problem is that you will have a PDF in which the live area is not centered.

I had no problem creating a properly centered pdf, both exporting or saving postscript and distilling, from both Quark and InDesign. I had to turn of the the bleed marks in InDesign. Quark was fine. In InDesign the trim bounding box was created properly and would work with our imposition system (Apogee Prepress) even if the image wasn't centered. The Quark export created a pdf with a proper bounding box while saving and distilling to pdf set the trim bounding box to the outside of whatever page size I indicated but both pdfs were centered properly.

David

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back