imaging linear plates

Howiet10

Have been using XMF for some time now but never really got into the inner workings or strayed outside the presets that were built when I came here. Need to know how to image linear plates in xmf.

I see you are a new member.
Search on this site for "linear plates" for similar previous posts.
The expert will be "Gordo" formerly from Kodak/Creo and his website is Quality In Print
I think he (prepress) will say it's not necessary, but others (press) say it is.

To linearize plates or not is a technical issue. Don't go by guidance from authority, history, or expert opinion. Guidance should be based on being able to articulate a clear, technical, explanation as to why it should, or should not, be done.

Re SteveSuffRIT wrote: "I think he (prepress) will say it's not necessary, but others (press) say it is." I hate to be blunt but this is not a matter for the press to opine upon. To linearize plates or not is not their responsability.

Last edited:
Prepress and Press are often in conflict when it comes to problem-solving and troubleshooting. Being fully digital, prepress may be more logical, while press may still be somewhat emotional due to their processes being more analog (pressures of rollers, plates, blankets, impression) and chemistry (ink & water balance, fountain solution pH, umhos).
Prepress wants known and repeatable SID & TVI & GB from press. Press should not bring a problem sheet into prepress without first achieving standard SID & TVI for comparison to the fingerprint/profiled reference (stake in the ground).
Press wants known, repeatable files, proofs, and plates. Prepress is digital magic to press so press wants to see a linear plate to see if the correct 'curve' has been applied before checking the so many other press variables.
If during make-ready, SID & TVI are obtained and the sheet doesn't match the proof, press instinctively suspect something changed or is different in prepress. A simple 'mouse click' in prepress can change everything.

Prepress and Press are often in conflict when it comes to problem-solving and troubleshooting. Being fully digital, prepress may be more logical, while press may still be somewhat emotional due to their processes being more analog (pressures of rollers, plates, blankets, impression) and chemistry (ink & water balance, fountain solution pH, umhos).
Prepress wants known and repeatable SID & TVI & GB from press. Press should not bring a problem sheet into prepress without first achieving standard SID & TVI for comparison to the fingerprint/profiled reference (stake in the ground).
Press wants known, repeatable files, proofs, and plates.

You had me until this:
Prepress is digital magic to press so press wants to see a linear plate to see if the correct 'curve' has been applied before checking the so many other press variables.
Looking at a linear plate doesn't tell press if the correct "curve" has been applied or not. It does indicate that there is a communications and systems problem between prepress and press that need fixing.

If during make-ready, SID & TVI are obtained and the sheet doesn't match the proof, press instinctively suspect something changed or is different in prepress. A simple 'mouse click' in prepress can change everything.

Glad you're still referring to SIDs.
Yes, prepress can sometimes redo plates to help "fix" a press to proof alignment problem - but again, that's an indication that there's a systems or mechanical problem in print production that needs to be fixed.

Gentlemen,

In simple terms, the Pressroom requires the Pre-press to produce " Production Compliant Image Reproduction" be it Halftone/Text or Solids.

Pondering: GB?

Regards, Alois

Hello Steve, thank you, couldn't see the wood for the Trees !!! - I'm getting better all the time with the

benefit of all the "Sages of the Printing Industry"

Regards, Alois

Have been using XMF for some time now but never really got into the inner workings or strayed outside the presets that were built when I came here. Need to know how to image linear plates in xmf.

You should be able to do that with a module called XMF Colorpath Organizer. Note that you have a lot of information available in your system from the online help. I will send a private message to you with an attached document that contains the basic info.

So the sole purpose of this was to appease a customer. They felt like printed piece was heavier than they intended and pressroom supervisor wanted to see how a set of linear plates would print. Finally convinced them that the curves lighten the image on the plate to compensate for press gain and linear plates would worsen the issue.
Thank you for all the input and responses.

So the sole purpose of this was to appease a customer. They felt like printed piece was heavier than they intended and pressroom supervisor wanted to see how a set of linear plates would print. Finally convinced them that the curves lighten the image on the plate to compensate for press gain and linear plates would worsen the issue.
Thank you for all the input and responses.
Sounds like your pressroom supervisor may need to learn a bit more about plate curves, and what they’re used for. It’s never a good look when prepress has to explain anything to press - their ideal purpose is to support.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back