Impositioning

shaz

Hi

We have a SRA3 digital machine and are on a pay per click contract. So getting the most out of each sheet is really important for us.

I had to print 1000 A6's on an SRA3 and needed to step up 8 A6'S on an SRA3. The imposition software on our rip was only giving 4 up - as with bleeds etc it didnt have much more room to get it to work.

I then manually in Photoshop (as I am quicker in PS than any other software) setup the 8up manually - the problem is that this takes far too long and isn't that professional. Attached is what I done!

Is there any software that I could just put in a jpeg/pdf with 2mm bleeds and it could squeeze up for example 8up A6 on an SRA3 (320x450mm)

Something simple, that works as a plugin in Acrobat would be excellent, but I am open to anything that can effectively do this.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• FRONT_reducedfilesize.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 302
Hi,

We offer a hot folder based, automated imposition solution that will handle this job, and all your other jobs.
At only $990., this complete license will give you full control over your impositions, on top of providing full automation. It is the best and most recognized automated imposition solution on the market today. (certified partners with HP, Ricoh InfoPrint and Xerox, to name a few.

Contact me by email and I'll send you a free complete license of "Impostrip On Demand" to try.

Ray Duval
Ultimate Technographics
raymond @ imposition.com

Shaz,
Looks like your needs are pretty simple. We have our inpO2 product line for Adobe Acrobat 8/9 that is a modular imposition product. What's nice about inpO2 is it's modularity allows you to either start with our very cost effective and easy to use Wizard for all types of common offset and digital work, to our full blown product that gives you everything for complex book assembly, automation, optimization and more. So you're never stuck with a dead-end solution where you have to buy something completely new to add in functionality. It's always add to what you already have and are familiar with.

I sent you a PM with some details for you on what would be best for you. :)

Michael Reiher
Director of Sales and Marketing
Dynagram

You can try using this template in InDesign. It's a SRA3 (wide) sheet with 4x2 A6 cards with your 2mm bleed. All you should have to do is to re-link the graphic and you'll have an 8-up imposition. But really you need to invest in one of the above mentioned tools or Quite Imposing, Quite Imposing Plus or callas pdfToolbox. All of them are capable. But pdfToolbox can preflight, correct, color manage, etc and impose the jobs.

Attachments

• SRA3 4x2 A6 with mm bleed.pdf
    32.3 KB · Views: 262
  • SRA3 4x2 A6 with 2mm bleed.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 256
Thanks

Matt I really appreciate your files, even last time you went out of your way to provide this sort of help. I will have a go from these

I will also take a look at the imposition options offers by the other members as a longer term solution - will check them out and report back!

No problem, happy to help when I can.

All of the tools will work for what you want to do. Frankly, they all handle basic impositions like this just as well. They're all probably about the same price. Even though callas pdfToolbox is mainly used for preflighting/fixing/correcting PDF's it really would be worth your time to evaluate it too.

I have a few clients who do their imposition in InDesign like I showed you. One in particular is a pretty busy web printer. InDesign isn't exactly the best, or right, place to be doing imposition with imported PDF's but it does work. Just don't be surprised if something goes wrong if you do use InDesign as your imposition "tool". Kind of like using an angle grinder to file your finger nails. You can do it, but don't be surprised if you end up with shorter fingers one day...

And even if InDesign might (and in my experience, very infrequently) one day not cope with exporting a PDF file you're imposing, on the whole it going to work way better and easier (also faster and make smaller file sizes) than Photoshop - because Photoshop it surely going to rasterise your jobs!

shaz, before importing PDFs into InDesign, you might want to open them up in Acrobat and check that they have bleed or trim boxes set. If not, then set them manually. You'll usually import the PDFs in on the bleed box (in the import options dialog box).

There is a free AppleScript script on the CS resources CD that adds crop marks to selected objects. That will be worth installing if you're imposing manually. It's also worth getting used to using the cmd-alt-U step-and-repeat feature.

Nicolas

simply i use corelDraw for impositioning,
use it for business cards, tickets, whatever

I agree with Matt, using a manual way (not mentioning labor intensive) can get your fingers cut... ;-)

Consider all the time SAVED to do other more productive tasks, + creep, bleed, marks corrections to be automated. At only $990. for a complete software solution that brings FULL automation (without having to buy a bunch of other expoensive modules to make a solution workable...).

Even our professional plug-in for Acrobat, Absolutely Imposing at $395. is a better solution than doing it manually in ID, CD and the likes.

Impostrip On Demand Econo is completely automated, no manual work anymore, yet full control on your jobs.

Try a complete and free version today. (see our web site)

Ray Duval
Ultimate Technographics
raymond @ imposition.com

Corel Draw is not professional lsoftware my friend. if u want to do imposition professionally try KODAK PREPS. i have been using this software. very goood and much professional.

CutePDF Professional. We've been using it for a couple of years and does everything we need for our digital press. Once created, settings are stored so you can impose within seconds for regularly used sizes. They do a free trial, but the paid for version is only $49.95. Best money we ever spent - really no need to spend hundreds when this does it all.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back