Indesign - Ad hoc 'Do Not Downsample' option

Sherbert

Hey all,

Is there a way to tell Indesign that you do not want to downsample a specific image?

I am getting high res images from customers that are not vector and not 'traditional' line art (1 bit raster), but should be.

If I could tell Indesign, 'Hey treat this specific image as line art even though it isn't' so I can rip at more than 300ppi.

Can I do that? Or is 'PDF Export > Compression' the only thing we have.

Sherbs

I don't think you can apply it to that specific image, but if you choose Do Not Downsample in the Compression section it will not downsample any images.

You'll also have to make sure that your RIP doesn't apply any downsampling, either.

No Title

Why . .. you have a separate setting to down sample color images, grayscale images, and a third for monochrome images see attached for the setting I use every day. I have a customer that prints photos of pro athletes for their advertising collateral so I get 300 dpi images that are 6 foot tall . . then they resize them in InDesign to as low as 2 or 3 inches making their effective resolution somewhere north of 6000 dpi . . . doesn't choke the rip but it does make it work harder if you don't know them down.

Attachments

• photo5514.jpg
    photo5514.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 198
If the image “should be” 1-bit, then perhaps you should make it so before saving out the PDF and ensure that your export settings are appropriate.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Sherbet . . . like my pappy said - "If wishs were horses, beggers would be riders" - We work with what we have not with what we wish for - you are correct in a perfect world all the "line art" would be vector but that's not always they way we get files . . . . I'm more concerned about getting the customer to like the work regardless of what we are supplied . . like we say, if you like it - we love it!!!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back