Indesign Creative Cloud Font issues

kaiserwilhelm

Before somebody gets mad at me for the name - I am just trying to clarify what version is having the problems.
My team pays our dues to CC and I am up to date on all adobe products through the cloud...

With that said -
Seems that our ligatures are substituting with hieroglyphics (or something similar). There is no rhyme or reason why this happens.
We are having horrible, intermittent font issues with CC INDD.
• Currently using V5 Universal Type Server - but, truth be told, this happened in V4 as well
• Extensis best practices on fonts. Font folders are at bare minimums and UTS turns on what fonts we need manually
• We run Font Nuke twice a day now due to the problem

After we discover the problem, I can open the same file with the same fonts on that machine, or any other Mac...and all is well with the world.

I "believe" that the Adobe font cache is not clearing out after Job XXX? When I go to Job YYY, I sometimes get the issue.
Sure, I have a script to get rid of ligatures. However, that will make my customers as mad as the font problems I am having.

I have used UTS and Extensis for a decade now. I have been on INDD since V1. I honestly believe this is a CC issue - never had it happen on V7 (or whatever the heck it was called before cloud)

Can we assume that you are not having these problems when fonts are stored and accessed locally without the font server and Extensis software? And I assume you are using the latest versions and updates to the Extensis software when encountering these problems?

If so, have you contacted Extensis support about this issue? Are they getting similar reports from other users? What are they recommending?

- Dov

Dov, there is a separate thread on this as well in Prepress and workflow.
I am on the latest Extensis and CC. This happened on both version 4 and now even version 5 of Universal Type Server.
It happens so infrequently that I have no way of knowing if the fonts being stored locally would fix.
I have a PDF that I can send to you if you want to take a look? Normally, all of my fonts are fully embedded - so subset. However, these are helvetica neue regular and seem to be using the TT variety.
I am going to start keeping track of whether this is a TT issue.
The problem is that when it does happen (once a week), it could be a $10,000 error.

We really think we have narrowed this down to imported text and Microsoft Word style sheets. They seem to be getting corrupted.
I have no idea who to contact at Adobe about this??
Any ideas?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back