Indesign Sublayer

sealleung

Since the new ISO PDF Standard 19593-1 have been issued, it use layer to organize the processing step,like diecut,foil, vanish,which is great for the print and buyer. But most prepress use the indesign to do the DTP job,but indesign don't support the sublayer.I found the DTP Tools have a plungin support the sublayer(see website below), you can see the sublayer in the indesign,but when export indesign to PDF,pdf have only layer other than sublayer.Do anyone give us some advice about the indesign sublayer?
http://dtptools.com/product.asp?id=dcid

ISO 19593-1 Processing Steps will take time to be incorporated into Adobe software. For those in Packaging, I would suggest that Illustrator rather than InDesign is the favoured tool.

One of the early adopters of the processing steps is Enfocus PitStop Pro, which can easily create these OCG/layers from spot colours. I have not compared the standard Adobe layer exports vs. the PitStop results so I don’t know if they are the same or different.

EDIT: I have just “browsed the internal PDF structure” and the Enfocus PitStop processing step OCG/layers have specific structure and metadata associated with them that is not the same with standard OCG/layers.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
It would be prudent to assume that support for ISO 19593-1 in Illustrator and InDesign will be supplied solely via very specialized third party plug-ins for Illustrator and InDesign.

- Dov

Ah, there we go, not something that will be native then.

what about “PDF 2.0”?

Yes, PDF 2.0 will be supported for both creation and placement as will PDF/X-6 (currently under development). Some applications will hopefully also support generation of PDF that is both PDF/X-6 and PDF/A-4 compliant (and so tagged)!

A few points to note. The ISO TC171 group responsible for the ISO 32000-2 standard (PDF 2.0) is in the process of revising the standard (mostly editorial changes including corrections and clarifications) but also with some very limited technical changes. We expect that a new DIS (Draft International Standard) for ISO 32000-2 will go out for vote this coming May and hopefully be finalized by end of 2019. PDF/X-6 will be based on that particular update of PDF 2.0 and hopefully will also be finalized by the end of 2019.

What is important to note is that the most important features for printing in PDF 2.0 (such as page level output intents - the ability to have multiple page types with different color profiles - as well as embedded CXF/X-4 spectral color data) only apply for PDF/X-6 files, not PDF 2.0 files in general.

Funny you should bring this up. I'm personally responsible for the PDF 2.0 and PDF/X-6 workflow initiative across Adobe products — it will be a very busy next 18 months or so.

- Dov

Yes, Illustrator is a better tools than Indesig for packaging .ISO 19593-1 is about how to associate the processing steps like foil,diecut.There is still many compaies who use the Indesign . There is other options like esko,hybridsoftware,they are good but expense .So we need a cheaper option . Do adobe have plan or time to be incorporated wiht the ISO Stardand 19593-1? -Seal

Yes, Illustrator is a better tools than Indesig for packaging .ISO 19593-1 is about how to associate the processing steps like foil,diecut.There is still many compaies who use the Indesign . There is other options like esko,hybridsoftware,they are good but expense .So we need a cheaper option . Do adobe have plan or time to be incorporated wiht the ISO Stardand 19593-1? -Seal

That would be Enfocus or Callas, depending on your needs. Considering all that they offer and can do, and that they also can create the processing step OCG’s to specification, they are a bargain!

What DFE or RIP or other software do you have that can make use of the ISO 19593-1 Processing Steps?

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Actually we don't use the ISO 19593-1,but i think phoenix can make use of it,output a diecut pdf and a impostion file.

Actually we don't use the ISO 19593-1,

You could just go on using spot colours and possibly export top-level-layers as PDF OCG/layers, without the specific ISO 19593-1 Processing Steps then. When you do wish to make use of the ISO 19593-1 Processing Steps with software that can leverage the data, both Enfocus PitStop Pro and Callas pdfToolbox appear to be the cheapest options.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back