Inexpensive RIP for Canon 8100

leegreen

Hi,

I am after a cost effective rip, I only require 2 features. Hot Folders & Nesting

Does anyone know of an inexpensive product with these features?

Needs to work with the Canon IPF 8100, MAC Preferable but PC is fine.

Cheers
Lee

Re: Inexpensive RIP for Canon 8100

I would recommend either EFI Colorproof eXpress at $750 or EFI Fiery XF at $1695. The eXpress RIP runs on both Mac and PC but does not support a measuring device for calibration and verification. Fiery XF Server runs on PC only and is very scalable for growing into. Fiery XF is basically the same product as EFI's flagship proofer RIP Colorproof XF only marketed under the Fiery name to a different market segment.

I've installed and trained on both of these RIP's so if you have any specific questions let me know and I'll be glad to answer.

Good Luck
Dan Gillespie

Hi Lee,

Colorproof eXpress does not support multiple print queues, for example for simulating different press conditions or for different output media. You must go into the settings and change them each time these parameters change--and remember to change them back. Fiery XF, like Colorproof XF, allows for multiple queues and custom linearization and ink limiting. But it does cost more--quite a bit more if you count the professional installation. eXpress is a very, very nice little RIP, especially for the price. Feel free to contact me for further information.

Mike Strickler
Certified EFI Installer and Trainer
MSP Graphic Services: Prepress and Color Management

Thanks for your replies.

Our needs are purely to speed up output time and increase output size for postscript files such as posters and architectural drawings.
We hit a problem with a 4 meter postscript file, it appears the resolution is dropped significantly - making the output unreadable. I assume this to be a memory issue with the printer.

Simulating press conditions is not a requirement.

Our needs would be:
Output long postscript documents - over 4 meters
Decrease output time - drag drop queue
Nesting
Uses standard ICC profiles - our media supplier makes our profiles, so we don't want to go back an remake profiles if possible.

How future proof is eXpress? - As we are likely to upgrade our printer in a few years time, and not always want to purchase new software, will the eXpress be updated to support new printers in years the come?

How bout a Xitron Navigator proofing rip?
A full fledged Harlequin Rip, with a resolution limit.
It will do everything the "biggies" will do.
Cost is a lil more than the Fiery XF.

One thing worth watching out for is the ICC profiles. I've mostly done Epsons, thier included windows driver is RGB.
Postscript Rip's use CMYK.
You cannot use the same ICC Profiles!

Why are you printing postcript?
Nowerdays pdf's are becoming the standard and pdf RIP's

Why are you printing postcript?
Nowerdays pdf's are becoming the standard and pdf RIP's

Some EFI clarification

Some EFI clarification

Lee -

For a Canon iPF 8100, you have the following choices from EFI:

1. Colorproof xPress - $1,500 to drive a 44" printer
2. Fiery XF - $1,995 and includes tiling and nesting

Fiery XF is 95% the same as EFI Colorproof XF at a fraction of the price.
eXpress is a good deal when you drive smaller printers. ($750) However, for larger format engines, Fiery XF is MUCH better and more cost effective.

There is a very large curriculum of online learning/training modules on our web site and you can also experience a brief demo of each product.

Chromaticity | RIP Software

We also have all ICC profiles for our paper already done and availble for download.

Chromaticity | Downloads - ICC Profiles

Good Luck,
Ian

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back