Ink drying on un-coated stock...

kdw75

What do the big guys, with the latest and greatest presses, do about ink drying on un-coated sheets? On our little 4-color GTO, we have runs on un-coated sheets that need to be backed up, and we usually have to run them at the end of the day, so that they can sit overnight, and even then, we have to wipe the back cylinders during long runs. Most of our runs, of course, have heavy coverage, maybe 200%.

The big guys would probably coat the job with a satin coating, a lot of my customers will use satin varnish if there is a unit available. We make a set of 4/c for uncoated. seems to work pretty well

Cleaning the impression cylinder with solvent? - stop. IMO the residue from solvents increases the cylinders affinity for ink; I did it for years. The guy I worked with cleaned the cylinder with Pro-3 (?) fountain concentrate and had much less, if no problem, with build up on that cylinder. It can takes more than a couple applications to see improvement. Note we both operated Ryobi 3302's. Absent Pro-3 I would lean towards any other fountain concentrates for cleaning.

I had wondered about a dull varnish.

Yep, I always wipe the impression cylinders with V-120, mixed with 1/3 water. I think we might have some samples of back cylinder cleaner somewhere, if not I will try some Pro-3.

Thanks for the suggestions.

There are some ink repellent pastes available, that you apply on your impression cylinder and it can give you couple of thousand more sheets before cleaning the cylinders again.
Otherwise try wax based car polish. Much cheaper than IRP.

I had a customer in Houston who used an actual coating formulated for Uncoated papers. He said it was expensive but obviously cut down bindery delays and paid for itself. I could ask him what it was if you desire,
I don't work at Heidelberg now but still have a friendly rapport with past customers.

I despair !!! - Witchcraft is still with us.

Hello Kdw75,

Prior to press online coating, printing on uncoated papers posed no problems

- just buy a suitable Ink.

1) No on press coating unit - then pointless remedies posted.

2) Swabbing the Imp Cyl with F/S --- Witchcraft ! - Use a Silicone Ink Repellent Spray.

Regards, Alois

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back