Ink suitable for LWC stock

mazengh

we are currently using inks from hostmann steinberg. unfortunately our local supplier can't advise me on what set i need to use to light weight coated stock. can someone please point this out? please note that it has to be from hostmann steinberg

Last edited:
Mazengh, you do not specify what type of press you want this inks to run on or where you are located. I am assuming it is a sheetfed press. If you would like I can get you the name of my local Hostmann rep who has always been very helpful. We do use some Hostmann Steinberg inks with no issues at all.

The local Hostmann rep is clueless... When i asked him, i got the below reply

"Generally REFLECTA or RAPIDA inks are preferred for these type of jobs since; they also have better ‘gloss’. However, RESISTA/IMPRESSION ‘SFW’ will also be a good option as a single, sturdy & all-round product for variety of Coated/Un-Coated substrates, with early drying & excellent rub-resistance, etc… albeit with little less gloss. For Un-Coated Paper (Map litho/Wood Free, etc…) OR Boards, with post print applications involved such as, folding, creasing, binding/gluing, etc…, RESISTA/IMPRESSION ‘‘SFW’ should be recommended.

We have only expressed our opinion however, based on your information, experience & judgment you may kindly decide."

These Inks are for an SM 102 sheetfed press

The Hostmann inks we run are their web heatset line of inks and I do not have experience with their sheetfed inks.

The rep is giving you their company line in order to stay safe with their recommendation that either of the ink lines you use would work for the lightweight and heavier weight stocks without a washup. He probably has had the backlash of a customer telling him "it didn't work like you said it would" in the past and would like for you to trial the ink line of your choice with your stock of choice and let your team be the judge.

Just fyi, our sheetfed presses do not change inks when running light or heavy weight stocks, albeit from a different manufacturer.

all I need is someone to pinpoint which set is more suitable for light weight coated stock... I am willing to try, and I don't want to point fingers at anyone...

I've read that "Impression" is quite a low-tack ink which may suit LWC. May help eliminate fit problems caused by tack stretching the lighter weight sheet.

My feelings on what ink set to use would be determined with an eye towards finding a set that works well in most instances. In the interest of keeping inventory down and standardizing consumables i would take a long hard look at just what enviroment im asking the inkset to work in. You mention printing on a lightweight coated sheet. Well some people might consider a lightweight coated sheet any text weight paper, where others may consider lightweight anything under 80# text.
If your talking about printing the majority of your jobs on a job lot quality 60# coated textweight sheet id be looking at the inkset with the lowest tack. If however, the bulk of your jobs run on sheets of varying weights and qualities you might consider an inkset with a little higher tack since the surface of the paper is more likely to be able to withstand the higher tack levels.
If your printing mostly on coated paper, with a weight of 80# or better id be looking for an ink that meets other criteria as opposed to its tack. For example.... I personally place a high priority on an inks ability to "stay open" in the fountain for a long time. That preference comes from the fact that a high majority of the jobs i print wind up getting aqueous coated. i feel that the tradeoff of a little slower drying when not coating a job is far outweighed by the reduction in labor and waste when having to washup the fountains, skin the inkcans, and use new fountain liners every day. For the occasional job on a really lightweight sheet or an uncoated sheet that doesnt get aqueous coated its not such a big deal to either reduce the ink tack or add dryers as the case may require.
Of course if youve got unlimited ink storage space and no desire to standardize your consumables as best you can then feel free to stock purpose built ink sets!
Consider these criteria ive mentioned, (alond with other criteria) and then go to your ink rep with your preferences and ill bet he will be better able to guide you on the appropriate choice.

Last edited:
LWC paper usually means a 30 or 40 pound sheet that is used for magazines and printed on heatset web offset presses. The inks are very low tack, so that the web isn't broken and all sorts of debris isn't piling up on the blanket. I guess you can run this light on a sheetfed press, I've seen it done, but wrinkling is an issue. I would think your normal sheetfed inks will tear this paper apart. I think you need to tell us what the paper is, since it may not really be LWC. Alternatively, you can run heatset ink on the sheetfed press. Just might not ever dry.
John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back