Inkjetters

pabney

I currently have two inkjet systems for addressing my envelopes. One VidioJet 4320 and one MCS Imager. Both of these are currently running old software circa 2003 or so on Windows XP boxes. I am may need to replace the computers soon because of some hardware issues. Thought I would ask the brain trust if I should replace the hardware and keep the Windows XP, or are there upgraded software systems for these machines?

Thanks

Hey Pabney, we're in pretty much the same boat. Running (2) Kirk-Rudy W-Inkjets. The machines run beautifully, but, the firmware on the printers won't run on anything higher than Windows XP. The interfacing software is called "W'Inkmate, (circa 2000) and, it won't run on anything higher than XP also. We've had to change the boxes a couple of times due to hardware issues. We just keep a CD set of the XP operating system around to reload on the new boxes.

That's about what I figured. I was asked if there would be any benefit to try and upgrade the software, but it does everything we want it to do now, so I will get get a couple of new boxes and install XP.
Thanks

I should interject here that the two boxes running the ink jets are specifically for those two printers only. We configured out network so those two computers have no internet access. There are no security updates on XP and Microsoft discontinued support on XP last year, so, if someone is able to get to the internet on those boxes, it poses a significant security threat.

Thanks, we already have them set up that way. As well as the only other box in the company that has to run XP for old software.
I appreciate the concern.

Be really careful with the MCS. Unless it's a newer one, they use firewire to to connect the print controller to the PC. That can be a real issue if you try to upgrade past windows XP. Not to mention software compatibility. I always try to preserve the original system on PCs like that. The software/hardware combination was built with whatever OS in mind and often doesn't port well to different configurations. Of course you have security concerns with that approach . . .

Thanks for the tip. I had not gotten behind the machine as of yet, but I did ASSUME it would be a serial connection. I will be sure to check it out before I do anything.

Why don't these manufacturers step to a standard like USB? It's going to be around for a while and the bandwidth throughput is way better than serial for crying out loud.

Don't upgrade. You can get server class hardware el cheapo to run the available (and satisfactory) software forever. If your IT dept. is up to their their jobs regarding the company firewall, there's no need to worry about the Win XP, too.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back