Inserting Equipment

draco66

We are researching inserting equipment and looking for any input from other users out there. We are looking to purchase a used inserter that will gather, fold and insert into #10 or 6x9 envelopes. I have been looking at some Neopost equipment. Any other thoughts?

Thank you.

I've never used any of the low volume "all-in-one" (gather/fold/insert) type inserters. I'm sure they are fine, just have always been wary of how their equipment might hold up under typical "letter shop" production standards. Most of us, who have been around for any length of time in the mailing industry, have separate machines that handle those functions: A continuous, or, pile feed folder (such as MBO, Stahl, Baum, etc), and, a four to six pocket inserter.

You will find that the inserters are of (2) basic types: friction feed, or, suction feed. Friction feed comes in handy if you are trying to insert a folded piece that has an "open" end into the envelope first (such as a "Z-Folded" piece). We are partial to the suction feed style (aka "swing-arm") as, they tend to last longer and hold-up better under a high volume environment. We use Bell & Howell inserters. Pitney-Bowes has some very good inserters that are "hybrid" (a cross between a suction feed and friction feed, taking the best features of both) called a "FlowMaster". The inserters that I mention are very expensive new, but, used, you can pick one up for around $10,000 - $15,000 USD.

The latest trend for both manufacturers has been to approach the "all-in-one" style processing (gather/fold/insert), but, they are very expensive solutions.

There are also other inserter manufacturers, but, Bell & Howell and Pitney-Bowes are the two major competitors. Check out Profold, or Sensible Technologies. Both offer some very good products.

All The Best

MailGuru

We will be doing OMR matching on some jobs but most do not require it.

Thank you all for your feedback so far.

If you have a lot of varying types of jobs I would say the DS90i if you are talking to Neopost/Hasler or the DS160HP if you have standardized single sheet jobs, it runs single sheets at 5500/hr.

Be careful buying used what ever you go with, you really want a maintenance contract on these machines because they WILL go down at the worst time. Some of them will train an onsite tech for basic repair things, you won't get that with a machine off of ebay.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back