InSite final aaproval

tbowat

We have some customers that do not like using InSite because if someone in their organization gives "Final Approval" before everyone has had a chance to look at the pages and annotate they can't because final approval was already given... You may say that's why Kodak states; "Note: You may want to restrict the number of users who are granted this right." However, our customers are stating that they need more than 1 person to be able to approve projects, because of traveling, different people are in charge of different projects... InSite is somewhat messy for customers like this, just wondering if anyone else runs into the same situation? Thanks

Hi. We have a client that has quite a few people that need to look at the proofs and give approval. What we do is give them reviewing rights, instead of approval rights. That way when they approve a page it will say reviewed OK. After I see that all the people have looked at it and given their approval, I give the final approval so the job can be plated. Hope this helps.

We had a similar situation at one customer. Ended up creating more than one InSite customer for them (one per department/workgroup) with many "reviewers" per customer but only one "approver". Now we just make sure to web-enable the job to the right InSite customer.

This is a common complaint. Honestly, I don't fully understand why though. Before soft proofing, printers often send out hard proofs with a proof approval form. That form usually had one line for final approval signature. And, only one person would sign it and return the proofs with the signed form. If they had one person approve proofs in the past, why do they need multiple approving them now?
Going with the review OK process like yespress suggests will usually solve this problem. Simply make two job roles within InSite, one for Final Approver and one for Reviewer (that does NOT have the ability to approve). Have everyone involved in the job subscribe to the events "Page Review OK" and "Page Review Not OK". That will keep everyone informed as to whom has seen the job as well as let the Final Approver know when it's their turn to look at the proofs and give Final Approval.
I agree that overall the review and approval process is somewhat messy and needs to be completely redone. However, we have to find creative ways to work within the system today as it is.

Before soft proofing, printers often send out hard proofs with a proof approval form. That form usually had one line for final approval signature. And, only one person would sign it and return the proofs with the signed form. If they had one person approve proofs in the past, why do they need multiple approving them now?

Seems like a step backwards to me. Then there's the whole issue of everyone's monitors being calibrated differently, which makes it a nightmare to proof for color. No, Kelly, the green isn't too bright, and no, Fred, the red isn't too dark, your monitors are just screwy ;)

Hi, Mike F.
Most users use InSite to proof content, not color. There is a color approval option that requires the purchase of a Kodak Matchprint Virtual kit and qualifying display. It will NOT allow the user to approve the color unless the server first verifies the display has been recently calibrated with the MV software.
It's far from a step backwards. A user can upload their files, have them automatically process and receive near instant soft proofs. This allows the customer to drive their own proofing schedule while automating your file processing and possibly internal preflighting if you use the Prinergy Preflight option. It does require some customer training and a level of support is needed to keep them on track. However, the rewards are huge in the end.

Seems like a step backwards to me. Then there's the whole issue of everyone's monitors being calibrated differently, which makes it a nightmare to proof for color. No, Kelly, the green isn't too bright, and no, Fred, the red isn't too dark, your monitors are just screwy ;)

Mike, as bmarple said, by default InSite is about content, not colour. Colour accuracy is licensed option that one has to pay extra for. One has to calibrate every day with either the Kodak Matchprint Virtual colorimeter or with an i1 spectro, using the free MV calibration software. One can only use a qualified monitor, such as one of the supported Eizo ColorEdge displays. The Matchprint Virtual system will not allow one to approve a colour approval task with a non-qualified monitor or a monitor that is qualified that is out of calibration.

In addition, one obviously has to have controlled viewing conditions, monitor hoods etc.

A very good guide to softproofing can be found here:

Downloads for Softproof - www.fogra.org

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back