Is Antivirus Software Still Needed?

DevostD

I'm not a well versed Windows user as I primarily do the majority of my prepress & design work on a Mac and have never used AntiVirus software on it. On our Window's desktops for accounting, and two different desktops each running RIP software we're running Norton 360. I find that the constant barrage of ads, sales pitches beyond annoying.

Is there a way to turn these sneaky sales notifications off? Is antivirus software still recommended for Windows 11 systems? Is there something better and less annoying than Norton 360?

In my opinion, no. Windows Defender works fine, plus Windows is more "stupid proof" when it comes to accidentally installing malicious software. On top of that, if something is malicious enough to get past both of those Norton isn't going to catch it either.

I'm not a well versed Windows user as I primarily do the majority of my prepress & design work on a Mac and have never used AntiVirus software on it. On our Window's desktops for accounting, and two different desktops each running RIP software we're running Norton 360. I find that the constant barrage of ads, sales pitches beyond annoying.

Is there a way to turn these sneaky sales notifications off? Is antivirus software still recommended for Windows 11 systems? Is there something better and less annoying than Norton 360?
Windows Defender. Keep it UPDATED.
YMMV

Those Norton popups are almost as bad as having a virus. I do use Norton and I don’t get the popups at work because you can turn them off. Can’t remember how, I Googled it when they were annoying me at work so much. I use Defender on a laptop but honestly the only way to truly protect yourself is to have consistent backups of all your computers and network drives.

I wouldn't go online without having some type of Antivirus running.

I backup to a network drive then turn it off when backups are completed and also backup to multiple USB drives that get taken off site.

Those Norton popups are almost as bad as having a virus. I do use Norton and I don’t get the popups at work because you can turn them off. Can’t remember how, I Googled it when they were annoying me at work so much. I use Defender on a laptop but honestly the only way to truly protect yourself is to have consistent backups of all your computers and network drives.

I wouldn't go online without having some type of Antivirus running.

I backup to a network drive then turn it off when backups are completed and also backup to multiple USB drives that get taken off site.
So your off-line backups and an up to date anti-virus package is the best you can do BECAUSE you have 'exposure'.
I propose a '3rd' law of computer problems: (hat off to Newton):

For every exposure there is an equal and 'appropriately damaging' virus.

YMMV

Norton (which used to be a good software company when Peter Norton owned it) and McAfee are the worst for spamming, I have used Sophos since the late 1990s starting with Sophos Mailmonitor for Linux on our mail server, and now using their cloud based solutions. It does it's job efficiently and sits quietly in the background until needed.

IMHO - windows defender is sufficient unless you have a particularly computer / common sense illiterate employee using the workstation.

I do believe that for a business it’s critical to have all data stored externally / probably in the cloud, for this reason and for when the computer inevitably fails.

Thank you all for your input. I've decided to remove Norton 360 from any devices using the software and have ensured that all are updated with the latest Windows Defender and virus description updates. I can't believe how many pop ups there were on removal of the software. Beyond annoying!

Thank you all for your input. I've decided to remove Norton 360 from any devices using the software and have ensured that all are updated with the latest Windows Defender and virus description updates. I can't believe how many pop ups there were on removal of the software. Beyond annoying!
Don't forget to turn off your auto renew in your account settings for Norton. They hit your credit card more than 30 days prior to it expiring and renewal rates are a rip off.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back