Is it possible to run Harlequin workflow with a PC (temporarily)?

Scotula69

The power supply to our Dell Power Edge 1600 SC died. We received the wrong part and this is our second day with no way of imaging plates. Can we use a PC briefly to get by. We use a Dell Power Edge 1600 SC, Harlequin 7.2, and a Screen Plate Rite 8100. I have been in pre-press for nineteen years and went digital in 2003 but I have no experience with server hardware. Plus previous employers had service contracts and I have only been with this company for a few months and am still somewhat in the dark about specifics.

Thanks for any information.

PC Problems

PC Problems

Hi Scotula69

Depending on the specs of the other PC it could be done. It will definately take some time. You would have to install the software on the other system, set up your network settings, create your folders. Then you would have test exposure, and creat calibration set for each plate size. If the new part is coming in tommorrow I would try to hold off.

Tommy B

Thank you Tommy B,

Waiting was my idea as well and fortunately we were able to use the power supply we received, so we are imaging plates again. That's the problem with used equipment and no service contract when things go wrong.

Run the backup.ps file periodically. Best to do before you change the configuration, update the software, etc. It will build a complete backup of the RIP settings so that you can go to a new HQ RIP and "print" the backup.ps file and the configuration will be restored. I think that there is a font.ps file too that backs up all the fonts installed on the RIP. Really, really, really handy for backing up and restoring HQ RIP's.

Thank you for the response and we are planning on buying a backup server since this happened. Also what is your opinion of the latest version of HQ we are at 7.2 and my employer is asking my opinion of HQ next to Prinergy,which is what I used in the past and I loved it. But I know the type of shop, clients, and the available budget determine what to buy. As I said before I'm new to HQ and I need to learn more about servers as well.

Thanks Again
Scott

It can be done, but it would help you had a zipped copy of the RIP folder. This is the best way to backup a Harlequin RIP. If you do not have a zipped RIP folder then you would have to setup your page setups, input channels, etc. from scratch.

The backup.ps file does not copy any third party plugins which in most cases is your card plugin, card page setups, etc. Do not use this as your main method for saving or backing up.

Your best way to restore the RIP is to take the hard drive out of that computer. Install it as a secondary drive in another computer. Run your RIP install and plugin install (if using a PCI card) and install them to the new drive with the new OS. Then mount your secondary drive (your old RIP drive) and try to launch the RIP. This works in most cases.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back