Is that file Quark6 or Quark7?

tlotzer

Some may know that if you open a Quark file with Quark 6 that is really a Quark 7 file, it will give you an error message and LOCK the file! Doh!

You have to quit Quark 6 to get it to release the file.

Here is a way to check the file header by opening the Quark file in TextEdit first.
Looking at the attached file, you will see that the header MMXRP3CCXP will be Qrk6, while MMXPR3DDXP will be a Quark 7 file.

I suppose someone could write a script that would intercept the double-clicking action on a file, check it's header, then call the correct version of Quark to open it.

I'm not sure why Quark 6 would lock the file, since it opens a temp file anyway.

Re: Is that file Quark6 or Quark7?

Here's an extension that, if both QX6 and QX7 are running, will open the QX file with correct version:

www.jolauterbach.com

You'll find the JoJo extension under "Freeware".

Hope this helps.

Edited by: GinSu on Jul 24, 2008 10:40 AM

Re: Is that file Quark6 or Quark7?

I've never had XPress 6 "lock" a file that's an XPress 7 file -- I've never actually been able to open an XPress 7 file in v6, I always get an error message before it opens. But, both copies of XPress are local on my computer, and I'm not working across a network. Are you?

I tried JoDrop, but it had an annoying "bug" that bothers me -- you can't open multiple files at once with it installed. That means, you can't highlight five or six files in the Finder and press Command + O to open them all -- only one of them will open. Same for dragging them to the XPress icon in your Dock -- only one of them will open.

So, to increase my chances of getting the right version to open the right file, I look at what I think I'll be working on in any given time frame, and I open that version of XPress first, and the other version second. If I launch v6 first, all double-clicked files will try to open in v6. If I launch v7 first, all double-clicked files will try to open in v7.

It's not perfect, but it's something...

Edited by: Linda on Jul 31, 2008 7:21 PM to fix a typo (and yes, there may be more!)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back