Is there a Non-Printing Layers Preflight?

CruzinCooler

I see a preflight to let you know there are layers but is there one that shows just the layers turned off? What’s happening is looking at a PDF with the layers view I see some layers that were turned off in a page making application and when viewing in Acrobat DC all is good until I go to RIP the files and than they print. Not good. The layers turn back on and print so I’m looking for a way to preflight files for non-printing layers. Layers that are not on. At that point flatten them to rid the unused layers. We do thousands of files weekly so I don’t want to flatten every PDF we receive. Going to ImpoStrip. Thx

I see a preflight to let you know there are layers but is there one that shows just the layers turned off? What’s happening is looking at a PDF with the layers view I see some layers that were turned off in a page making application and when viewing in Acrobat DC all is good until I go to RIP the files and than they print. Not good. The layers turn back on and print so I’m looking for a way to preflight files for non-printing layers. Layers that are not on. At that point flatten them to rid the unused layers. We do thousands of files weekly so I don’t want to flatten every PDF we receive. Going to ImpoStrip. Thx
I believe I found it: Layers > Will display when document is opened > is not true

Try the action Flatten Layers Using Initial Visibility

I believe I found it: Layers > Will display when document is opened > is not true
That is correct, the callas technology (as in Acrobat Preflight or pdfToolbox) allows you to create a preflight check as you described and it will fire if there are layer that are set to invisible.

Try the action Flatten Layers Using Initial Visibility
This is the other solution, but as it's a fixup it will of course modify the document. The exact name of the fixup depends on what you want to do. There is:
- Discard hidden layer content and flatten visible layers
- Remove layers and content that are initially invisible

The second version will not remove layers that are initially visible, just the one that are invisible. The first option discards all layer information (and content on any layers that are initially visible.

Take care,
David.

That is correct, the callas technology (as in Acrobat Preflight or pdfToolbox) allows you to create a preflight check as you described and it will fire if there are layer that are set to invisible.

This is the other solution, but as it's a fixup it will of course modify the document. The exact name of the fixup depends on what you want to do. There is:
- Discard hidden layer content and flatten visible layers
- Remove layers and content that are initially invisible

The second version will not remove layers that are initially visible, just the one that are invisible. The first option discards all layer information (and content on any layers that are initially visible.

Take care,
David.
FYI - your profile image is neither purple nor a penguin.

Hopefully this will help :)
purple.jpg

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back