is there a way to choke a color in Prinergy?

bumblebee

The scenario is I have a red square, 100% Magenta & 100% Yellow. Is there a way to universally choke Yellow so it prints just inside Magenta? This will apply to white texts on red, red objects...etc.

The yellow square represents the area on the yellow plate and this area overprints the larger area on the Magenta plate even though it knocks out the Magenta in this illustration.

Attachments

• photo8242.jpg
    photo8242.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 302
The scenario is I have a red square, 100% Magenta & 100% Yellow. Is there a way to universally choke Yellow so it prints just inside Magenta?

Well, you should first chek in Acrobat with overprint preview, if Y truly knocks out M.
In prinergy you should check your settings in colorconvert section of the refine process. Look for overprint conversion options. You can set all CMYK to knockout via first checkbox:
Clip2net_190110123648.png

Yes, it's possible by using the Cutback feature in the Prinergy trapper. It's the same idea as Rich Black trapping, where CMY gets pulled back from all white (non-ink) edges. This is also often referred to as pull-back. The Cutback feature in Prinergy is separate from automatic Rich Black trapping, as Cutback was designed for "Spotless" (expanded gamut printing) where many solid objects are composite colors made without Black and users often want separate controls for these. All other inks get choked back from the "Primary" (darkest) non-black ink in the blend.

I've included a screen capture that shows Cutback settings in the Trap Editor and results after applying cutback to the Red object.

Attachments

• photo8245.png
    photo8245.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 303
michaelejahn, SZmetana,
guys, where did you find word "trapping" in TS post :rolleyes:?
Anyway, one need to buy advanced trapping feature to use cutback.
And michaele, what is your scenario for use of trapping on MY objects? All our offset presses are capable to perfectly register 2 plates in 4c jobs (even large ones, with the help of geometry compensation, but still...)

michaelejahn, SZmetana,
guys, where did you find word "trapping" in TS post :rolleyes:?
Anyway, one need to buy advanced trapping feature to use cutback.
And michaele, what is your scenario for use of trapping on MY objects? All our offset presses are capable to perfectly register 2 plates in 4c jobs (even large ones, with the help of geometry compensation, but still...)

I did not read / find the word trapping. I read the word "choke". Like the word "spread", chokes and spreads were terms we used back in the day before digital trapping. I am 63, and back in the 80s I think we also had guys using fatties and Skinnys.

http://printwiki.org/Spreads_and_Chokes

I think Aldus TrapWise actually used these terms in its manuals.

I am fairly confident that the OP ( bumblebee ) was asking about how to accomplish a trap, although - like you - perhaps they are confused - as the Magenta stroke is probably overprinting the yellow square to make that 100 M and 100Y rule around that yellow box, so, proabably no need for any trapping in that example image.

trapping used to be done in a vacuum frame with film when I used to have hair. Now we can do all sorts of way more fancy / complex things, including looking at Trap Previews

Oh yes, those halcyon days of trapping in a vacuum frame, 20 pieces of film for a single 4 colour forme, some with acetate underlays, others with Rubilith masks, how I pine for those simple times ;)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back