Job planning or Proof first

RGPW17100

Formerly we were a small offset and digital print shop of about 25 people doing about 3 million dollars a year. We currently acquired another printing facility and now we are 85 employees including 40 inch offset down to duplicator and digital (Indigo 5500) and wide format and are now doing around 10 million dollars in sales a year. My question is we have always taken jobs in then put them through job planning then created a proof after. Would the better way be to get the proof done first then do the job planning. Just curious what other printers are doing and the reasoning.

We tend to do: Proof ...after Proof ...after Proof ...after Proof ...after Proof ...after Proof ...after Proof
and
do not bother with the job planning.

MSD

Where I worked the job was received, then preflighted to see if it resembled the quote that was made to get the job in the first place. If it passed that then it would be proofed and sent to planning.

Gordo

What, if anything, is being changed in your process after each proof?

Customer changes after seeing a PDF proof
-
SalesPerson changing elements in the file because they know better what the customer wants
-
Customer ... Oh ... I noticed the address on the file was incorrect.
-
Let's run an iGen proof to show the customer - even though the iGen is not profiled to "match: the press --
show that to the customer and it gets approved
now
process the file for the press and produce a certified G7 epson proof
Hey! - the G7 proof does not match the iGen proof so we need to change the artists files to deviate from what they expected in the first place to match the uncalibrated iGen proof
-
Customer - Oh - I notice my phone number is incorrect
-
Customer - can you add my fax number
-
Customer - my photo looks to red - you can fix that ... right.

Should I stop now? It does go on ...

MSD

So from all the rhetoric the given is that a proof should be sent first then do the job planning. Then wait till the job is due then print it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back