KBA 106 Makeready Champion

Yup and a total of 112 plate changes!!! plus blankets washed between each job and also the delivery unloaded and the feeder loaded between each job..

They did another time test too,, and completed 3 jobs all on different substrate, run of 750 d/s 24 plate changes in just over 12 mins..

truely remarkable press,, it is funny how you read the Komori sales brochure saying they have slashed makeready time and have a machine thats capable of loading plates in a mater of XXXX mins but if its compared to the KBA the KBA in the same time frame has loaded more plates and has the ability to even have the first sellable sheet produced..

The KBA is so quick because it can do so many things all at once..
All plates are loaded at once at the same time it can be washing the blankets and if yo want washing the ink rollers..

lets not forget their auto register system the plates are in register 100% before you even run one sheet through the machine...

I do believe though that for this machine to work as good as it did at the test .. it would need to be in a 100% controled environmet. with air con and humidity control.

Last edited:
Hey Luke,
You hit the nail on the head, the KBA Rapida 106 is an incredible multi tasking machine. Just one realy cool feature during make ready is Plate Ident, which scans a small data matrix code patch, which insures all plates are on the right unit, then when the press starts idling, it will scan the patch and register marks, within a few revolutions will make lateral, circumfrentilal and cocking moves without pulling a sheet. Unbelievably impressive.

It's true! I saw it this year at DRUPA. I, too, liked the plate ident which hangs the plates straight, right off the start. This is truely helpful when you have a heavy handed helper! But.. it does have to be ideal jobs. Guaranteed there are no press checks with designers happening there. Obviously, it's a huge head start on most jobs. I run a 105, but was still impressed by the 106, especially with SiS.

Last edited:
lets not forget, in order to actually get times like that in a production environment on a regular day to day basis, you need an operator (and helper i guess) that is really in sync with the machine and know what to do.

We could even cut down the time for some more seconds compared to the stoped time by the demaning customer.

same as the manroland 700 direct drive

same as the manroland 700 direct drive

manroland's direct drive 700 allows you to do the same thing, and more.......... their direct drive concept is superior to all others in that it provides additional simultaneous functions: washing of (1) plate cylinders, (2) blanket cylinders and (3) inking rollers, plus (4) plate changing and (5) inking up. Furthermore, with direct drive the (6) start of print can be varied by up to 99 mm. Another cool feature is that print length (7) can be electronically corrected by 0.1 mm to lengthen the image for optimal register. new since drupa: electronic adjustment of the suction rings in the delivery so that they contact print-free areas of the sheet. This takes place simultaneously to plate changing and also saves valuable makeready time! You can also roll your cylinders up to 99mm from the console.

I have a hard time believing it wasn't staged. Or no one cared what the jobs looked like. I doubt anyone was pulling out proofs on each form and checking color, etc.. Anyone can hang plates and run using the 'pleasing color' method, especially with todays CIP3 files. If a customer walked up to a press manufacturer at a trade show and asked for this kind of request and they did it on the spot.............trust me, they were prepared for it. you have to make sure you have the plates available, stocks and inks, etc, etc.. I'm sure all of the forms were similiar coverage and layout, too.

Don't get me wrong, the technology is amazing!! but don't buy into the notion that the demo was done on the spot without any preparation. I've worked these types of shows before, and they wouldn't have taken the chance of blowing something like this in front of hudreds of people. What kind of press release would that make?

This is from a manroland press release:
The challenge in a notarially at-tested attempt at a world record was to achieve “at least 103 plate changes within 24 hours“. The prerequisite for the record: minimization of makeready times.

The world record
The Rösler management, notary Helmut Hahn and highly motivated press opera-tors were present when the signal sounded to start the attempt at a record with the six-color ROLAND 700 DirectDrive with double coating system. How many printing plates can the press process within a day, producing a four-color customer job of 1,000 printed sheets per run? The printing was done from typical commercial forms on Sappi Tempo Silk paper, 150 gsm. After every 1,000 good sheets, a plate change was made. Three times within 24 hours, the notary ascertained on-site that the print production was proceeding rightfully, checking sheet counter totals of the press, counting sheets printed and plates consumed. The result: 169 form changes (676 plates) within 24 hours – that’s a world record. Rösler Druck was one of the first printing companies in the world to use direct drive; the joy of innovation and the confidence in this makeready-reducing technology has paid off for the printing company. “The record shows how efficiently manroland customers can produce with the new DirectDrive technology – such productivity in short-run printing would have been inconceivable only a few years ago,” says Dr. Markus Rall, Member of the Board manroland AG, Business Sector Sheetfed Presses. Erhard Sass is one of the six press operators, working with two printers in a shift, whose feat put manroland on the winners’ rostrum. Her remarked on the groundbreaking technol-ogy: “ROLAND 700 DirectDrive radically reduces makeready times and has thus earned us the world record.“

this is a commercial shop, running their live work using their operators.............

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back