keeping a machine awake/online (Ricoh C5310)

bcr

We have some Ricoh C5310's used in a mixed self-service office repro type room.

We've already set them up to stay awake for as long as possible, because when they go to sleep there's quite a long wait for the printer to warm up and begin printing.
This is not a problem for high volume repro work, but it's a nuisance for small self-service printing tasks.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep them awake longer? The only thing I can think of is using a separate tool to schedule a single document to print at set intervals during office hours - but that's a bit of a PITA. Are there any other tools that can wake the printer up without actually printing something?

Current settings are:

Sleep Mode Timer: 60 minutes
Lower Power Mode Timer: ON (240 minutes)
Fusing Unit Off Mode Timer: Off
Energy Saver Key to Change Mode: Low Power Mode

Suggestions welcome! (p.s. I know we should just get a small office printer there for this, but that is politically difficult in my organisation for reasons I will not bore you with).

So I looked up the brochure for the printer. The brochure says warm up time is 120 seconds. Are you having issues with having to wait 2 minutes for a document to print? I would think that waiting the 2 minutes 3 or 4 times a day would offset the cost of the electricity used by never letting the machine go to the Energy saver mode.

Okay, so I won't get into why a couple office printers won't work since you said that isn't possible. I would ask your tech to see if they can disable the sleep mode in the service settings. I'm guessing they won't like that too much but worth an ask.

So I looked up the brochure for the printer. The brochure says warm up time is 120 seconds. Are you having issues with having to wait 2 minutes for a document to print? I would think that waiting the 2 minutes 3 or 4 times a day would offset the cost of the electricity used by never letting the machine go to the Energy saver mode.

it should be just 120 seconds from low power mode but occasionally seems to take a lot longer than that.

that said - standing for two minutes waiting for a walk-up print in a high pressure legal office environment (not a print shop) is like watching paint dry.

Electricity is not a concern for us.

Okay, so I won't get into why a couple office printers won't work since you said that isn't possible. I would ask your tech to see if they can disable the sleep mode in the service settings. I'm guessing they won't like that too much but worth an ask.

good idea - i'll ask a tech next time they're in. if anyone on here would have a copy of a service manual that i could see i'd be all ears to see if it's technically possible or not.

I believe that you can set the sleep mode timer to up to 240 minutes.

If you want it to stay on longer there is also a setting called sleep mode entry by sleep mode timer. You can find it by using the search in the settings menu. If you set that to disable the machine will never go into sleep mode. If the setting isn't there a setting needs to be changed in service mode so it will show up.

I believe that you can set the sleep mode timer to up to 240 minutes.

If you want it to stay on longer there is also a setting called sleep mode entry by sleep mode timer. You can find it by using the search in the settings menu. If you set that to disable the machine will never go into sleep mode. If the setting isn't there a setting needs to be changed in service mode so it will show up.

thanks! I can't see the second setting there - will ask a tech about it next time they come - do you know what the service setting is to enable it?

so i figured this out and it is much improved.

problem now though is that the machine has an equitrac card reader for secure access. there is now a big lag on the card reader reading the swipe card when the machine has not been used for a while. Have to hold the card there for like 15 seconds.

It's like the card reader function is going to sleep whilst the rest of the machine stays active. anyone have any ideas whether this can be fixed?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back