KM C5500 Maintenance Question

We lease a rebadged KM 5500 from Ikon.
It is currently telling me that it needs some "Required Maintenance" because all of the developers are showing around 140%.
It has obviously been telling me this for awhile, but our Ikon techs say we don't need to have the developers replaced, KM sets these things too low, there's still plenty of life left, you don't need to replace them until there's a problem, etc..
I am wondering, though, if this is true.
Do all techs wait until there is a quality issue to replace parts?
Are there proactive techs out there who actually replace things when the machine says to do so?

Yes but our tech guy works for KM not Ikon. Normally I will have a issue before it gets as far as you have, but I call even if print is still ok. Don't need to be doing job on weekend and start having problems. It says it he will fix it great guy.

That sounds like you are getting a poor response. You're meant to get a PM (preventative maintenance) visit on a regular basis and replace things BEFORE they go wrong. I'm pretty sure that the idea that you deliberately let things go wrong before you service the machine is an Ikon concept - we certainly don't get that with KM. Having said all that, we'll often get components running well over 100% on our 6501s due to engineer scheduling and that doesn't seem to be a big problem, but KM don't deliberately run the machine's components over their rated life in my experience.

I've noticed this with our machine.
After a quick check, within 30 days of the last pm, this 5500 has the cmy developers over 105%, and the black at 183%
I see the transfer life belt at 194%, so, it is not uncommon.
We lease from KM btw and they have been excellent in keeping this machine imaging top notch.
I have peers with Ikon machines; their experiences have not been as favorable.

I don't work on Konica but I can tell you for the machines I work on I always try to follow the suggested maintenance tables but I hear from my peers that sometimes their employers won't allow them to.

I would call the service manager if you are concerned about it and don't blame the tech it may not be their call.

Thanks for the responses.
I guess I should be more demanding about these kind of things.
They do get kind of whiny about it, so I'm assuming it's not their choice.

One thing to think about with this is the counters for these items need to be reset by the technician and in some cases techs forget. Best thing to do is to check your service manual.

The guys above are correct the machine should have a regular maintenance at least every 120k.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back