KM5501/KM6501 or xerox252 or similar?

banezano

hi, i'm new user here. And my english is not too good.

In the business where i work, we are thinking about change our current machine (canon c1100 - large box of trash), and buy other machine.

we're wondering what's the best machine (quality/price) of thats:
KM5501, Xerox 252 or canon imagepress c1.

Currently we’re very dissapointed with canon and the technical service. So, our preference is KM5501 or xerox 252.

Anyone who has a KM5501 or xerox 252 (or similar) can tell me the pros and cons, problems and disadvantages, of both machines?

And otherwise, Is there much difference between km5501 and km6501? (in quality and durability)
We would use the machine for all papers sizes and weights (from a5 to 12x18 or higher, and laid, i mean, with textures)

It said that the km5501 has trouble gripping toner in high-weight papers at time of cutting. Is truth?

I have all the doubts of the world. So, ask advices.

thanks

We have Xerox 242, the base model of Xerox's series. 252 to my understanding only differs largely printing volume and supporting large paper size.

TBH, when we tested 242, the colors looks great...they obviously staged it well for us. The longer we are using it, the more I found color to shift...almost too often and inconsistent. There's is also a constant over saturation of red/magenta.

Although this might be an inferior issue with the Splash RIP we are running on a Mac... Xerox support is good although I don't find them especially knowledgeable in color management issues.

thanks for the reply.

how it works the paper on both sides? matching a side with another?

edit: i mean registration, sorry

Last edited:
we just got a KM c6501 a little over 3 weeks ago.

50,000 impressions so far and haven't had a PM yet.

EDIT: I forgot to add the KM. LOL!

Last edited:
Ricoh Aficio MP C7500

Ricoh Aficio MP C7500

Hello,
You may also want to look into Ricoh Aficio MP C7500. 75ppm bw, 70ppm fc.
This is a machine that is low on price, but is fast. You can choose from internal controller from Ricoh, internal controller from EFI or external controller from EFI.

There is a load of different finishers you can stick on the box. The machine has won several awards in Europe for print quality and speed.

ADDED: This machine is not for printing duplex business cards, but for large volume printing on plain paper.

Last edited:
Maximum image width for the Ricoh is 297mm where as the Konica and Xerox is 318mm and 323mm respectively.

Gig0 (or anyone), Could you tell me if KM6501 prints light marks (like rollers marks) along to the paper?, especially with papers of heavy weight?

thanks

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean unwanted residue in the non-printing areas of the paper? Not that I've noticed.

As far as the imaged areas are concerned, I've experienced unwanted artifacts due to not having the correct settings (like if I force it to run 100# gloss cover in plain paper mode) but I'm still getting familiar and seeing how far I can push it. BTW, theres a 'gloss mode' option in the CREO front end that makes the printed areas look like it got a hit of varnish.

Last edited:
think he means marks (lines in the print) caused by the paper being so thick and the mechanics scratching the surface as such

ok.

The 100# gloss cover prints just as well as the 80# gloss text. The only difference (depending on the piece you're printing) is you might want to create a profile for heavy stocks. The Creo RIP allows you to create different profiles for different stocks. I've already done that for calibration samples but haven't used it for a live job yet, even though we've run plenty of 100# stock already.

One other thing, by DEFAULT the rip says the machine cannot print duplex on 100# stock. If you change only the SETTING to 80# cover, it will. I've done this a quite few times with short runs but haven't had a job with a large enough quantity to really test it's limits, but it does work.

Hi.

Yes, I mean those marks against mechanical, rsands says.

I asked, because a technician from another company (not KM) it said. And he show us a some printed samples with the KM (presumably), where, in the light, you can see the marks I comment.

But it is normal, I guess. He is a technician from another company, and he wanted us to sell your machine.

so, you recommend me the KM5501? or 6501? both are good machines?
The only differences are the pages per minutes?

greetings and thanks

The 5501 will only accept the FS-507,LU-202 or PF-601 options. Also the IC-303/305 won't work on a c5501.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back