Kodak knows how an imposition interface should be…Â*why they just launch a new product

Lukas Engqvist

Kodak knows how an imposition interface should be…Â*why they just launch a new product

I was very happy at Drupa to see the new interface of preps, or so I thought…Â*It turns out there is another module called "Preps ganging" that has the interface some of us have been asking for since Scenic had the product. Don't mind a complementary product, but why does basic PREPS templates still have to be so cumbersome and ancient in the interface.

The upgrade from PREPS 4.2 to 5.2 costs more than an Adobe Creative Suite upgrade, and adds very little by way of news. Had it been reworked to contain some of the template editing of Ganging it would have been worth the money. Will PREPS be updated? Or will we allways be subsadising developers to produce other products by upgrading. I'm much disappointed and feel misslead. I give Kodak one more chance to clean up, but I think it is a ritten way to treat faithfull customers.

Funny you mention this Lukas, I still use 4.2.1 on a win.. 2000 svr, I also use 5.3 on a new install of Prinergy Mac, they are virtually the same except for the smart marks. I am sure there are other minor differences, but I do not see any need for me to upgrade because 4.2 outputs jdf to a rampage 10.5 workflow. It would be nice to upgrade if I go to Rampage 11 for the preps integration, finally, but until we go to 11, I do not see any real reason to upgrade.

Hi,
I have been on GUA Kodak User Conference in Lisbon and saw Preps 6.
It is true that Preps is a weak point of Kodak product. They know it.
However, it is dramatically changing. Not mentioned about Prinergy 6 where true imposition will be built in the new interface, with automatic ganging IN prinergy.
You can always try Metrix application, if ganging is critical for you.
cheers
simon

Well the problem is not that prinergy doesn't do it…Â*it is the fact that kodak is charging overpriced uppgrades for preps, which is used in modular workflows and then pumping all the feedback into developing their cut and diced prinergy. It is unethical. Some kind of reverse Robin Hood, stealing from open modular systems to line their own workflow with features and interface.
It is to abuse those users that take their time to report buggs and give feedback on how to improve an application.

Kodak likes your cash but won't give you much for it.

I agree! It's not only Preps. They are telling you how much time you will save (e.g. money) and that's why you should gave them many Ks dollars or euros.

I was in Lisboa too. And so? Saw the pictures of the new interface. It's interesting but be sure expensive too.

I wish Metrix supported double web templates so we could give it a real try. I hear its going to be supported soon.

We have Metrix and the Prepress end is weak! The software was written for planning/estimating. Can't rotate place marks. You can make marks set (similar to smart marks) but you can't crop any placed mark. We have many presses and substrates to go along with them. If we had to make a custom colorbar for each press and substrate, we'd need a server to store the data. The CSV file integration won't work cross platform. But on the bright side, I'm told version 4 will fix these issues. It's still a baby in the software world.

Good post. I do have to say for the most part I like the interface of preps over other products. But in terms of features and updates is is very weak. Used it from 3.x to 5.x and very little difference. I wrote Kodak a list of features they could have implemented but fell on deaf ears. Smart marks is handy but if you have pre built templates with marks you are already set. The output to sheet size was a great feature to have. Gang run jobs I can't believe they have not figured this out yet or late in the game. We've since moved on to Signa which does everything.

Good luck

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back