Kodak Preps with multiple users on same PC

We've recently added a new computer on our company network and I wanted to have 2 users on the same system.
One user as the administrator (me) and a second user for a designer-prepress person.

I've installed all my software and everything runs fine. Everything except Preps that is.

For some reason it runs normally when I'm logged in with my administrator priviledges but won't run when the second user tries to run it from his account.
Running it from the User account gives me the following error messages in this order:

1:

2:

3:

4:

I'm not trying to run Preps simultaneously on both accounts. I even logged off the admin account and try to run it from the user account but I still get the same result.

Now this might not be exactly a PrePress problem but I'm sure some of you guys had to work around this somehow.

I would appreciate any help.

p.s. This snipping tool on Windows 7 is very handy on error messages.

my dear, preps won't run in second computer without valid license.

We have a floating license which allows for multiple users to use Preps. Just not simultaneously.

So a user has to Quit Preps before another can use it. We already work like this with 4 other computers.

I believe your problem resides with user permissions. I don't mean to beat around the bush but I'm not an IT guy so I can't tell you how to fix it but that is where I would start.

HTH

Greg

I believe your problem resides with user permissions. I don't mean to beat around the bush but I'm not an IT guy so I can't tell you how to fix it but that is where I would start.

HTH

Greg

I tried giving permissions to the user to open Preps with all priviledges but still had the same problem.
I might be doing it wrong though... I'm not an IT guy either :confused:

We contract our IT out. They just updated servers, domains and how new computers joining the domain inherit permissions. I am having similar issues with work stations and data collection stations (PC) but haven't talked to the IT guys yet.

I'm sure you have something similar going on.

Multiple users and Preps

Multiple users and Preps

Need a bit more info. to help you:
1. Is your server in a domain or group??
2. What OS is the server using??
3. All of your error messages point at the same issue, but I need 1 and 2 answered.

Joe

Last edited:
Need a bit more info. to help you:
1. Is your server in a domain or group??
2. What OS is the server using??
3. All of your error messages point at the same issue, but I need 1 and 2 answered.

Joe

The server runs on Windows 2003 and it's connected through a LAN.

All users on the network use the same credentials to log in on the server with the floating licence (administrator login)

Logged in as the administrator on this PC (which is running Windows 7 Ultimate) I gave full priviledges to all users of this PC but that hasn't changed anything.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there another folder or application that I should allow priviledges for?

Multiple users on the same pc

Multiple users on the same pc

Hi,

Sorry, but I need answer for the #1. question. What OS are the other clients (workstations) using?
All servers are connected to the workstation via LAN.
Is your problem only with Win 7???
A floating license is normaly instaled on the server?
We have 4 floating licenses, I set up the privileges on the server OS 2003 in Users and Groups.

Joe

We have a floating license which allows for multiple users to use Preps. Just not simultaneously.

So a user has to Quit Preps before another can use it. We already work like this with 4 other computers.

I had the same problem. You will need to make the secondary user account an Administrator. Then install Preps from within that account to a separate location like in their own user folder. Once it's installed and running properly you can then change it back to a non admin account. It's definitely a permissions issue and no matter what I tried with changing permissions on the software I could always only get one working properly until I made it as 2 separate installs.

Thanks everyone, the problem is solved.

By changing the secondary user to an administrator, I was able to run Preps smoothly.
So I guessed there must have been a configuration file somewhere that had to be open to secondary users.
Giving permissions for the whole Preps directory didn't work, as after I applied the changes they still went back to the original settings.

What I did to make it work was I deleted all the printers through Preps, gave full permission for two files in the Preps directory (default.cfg in the Profile folder and printers.psm in the Printers folder).
After that I was able to open Preps through the secondary user and just add the Printers manually.
Everything seems to work fine now for both admin and secondary users.

There is although another thing that doesn't seem to work and that is the Preps migration utility. A tool that lets you import your settings from a Preps installation on another pc to your local.
But I'm definitely not gonna go into that. I'm happy to put every setting in manually and lose the headaches! :D

Again thanks everyone for your input.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back