Konica Minolta 6501

Well you need a finisher, even the cheap one, so that you can stack more paper. I think without a finisher you can only stack 250 or 500 sheets. The cheapest finisher which is just a stapler stacks 3500 sheets.

Really? Our KM6500 has the stapler and there is no way it holds 3500! Is there a setting for it?

ours is the FS-520 Finisher and actually it will only hold 3000 sheets, it may be a new option for the 6501. There are no settings, the tray is an elevator that goes down as the sheets stack up.

ours is the FS-520 Finisher and actually it will only hold 3000 sheets, it may be a new option for the 6501. There are no settings, the tray is an elevator that goes down as the sheets stack up.

We have the FS-503 with an "elevator" tray too. I just looked it up, and according to the book it does 3,000 sheets. But it doesn't, it holds a small lift (few inches?) stops the machine and demands to be emptied.

Any KM techs out there with an answer?

We have one
The print quality is a one step above an office copier.
The color shifts from sheet to sheet, bk up bounces, in short it is at the low end of our device chain.

where does it jam? everywhere! Trays 5 and 4 (and 3, 2 and 1 if we put it there, but we usually don't)
Not to say that it jams everytime, just that 100 uncoated runs worse that others.

That doesn't really help.

We have the FS-503 with an "elevator" tray too. I just looked it up, and according to the book it does 3,000 sheets. But it doesn't, it holds a small lift (few inches?) stops the machine and demands to be emptied.

Any KM techs out there with an answer?

There is a setting in the service mode to alter the amount of copies in that tray. It goes by weight setting as well. Although sturdy I would say the exit tray would snap off with 3000 300gsm sheets in it.

We have one
The print quality is a one step above an office copier.
The color shifts from sheet to sheet, bk up bounces, in short it is at the low end of our device chain.

Tell them to take it back.

That doesn't really help.

You're telling me! It jams at the paper tray, it jams after the paper tray, it jams in the fuser, it jams in the decurler. aka everywhere. Again not always, just more than other sheets.

How do i get to the setting? I'd like to increase it somewhat, not "snap off" but more than it does now.

Your tech can set the machine to ignore this (but still dehumidify). If you constantly changing paper then this would be a knightmare.

How, my tech was just here and said no. I don't care what he says, im gonna just do it, can you tell me how?

You're telling me! It jams at the paper tray, it jams after the paper tray, it jams in the fuser, it jams in the decurler. aka everywhere. Again not always, just more than other sheets.

How do i get to the setting? I'd like to increase it somewhat, not "snap off" but more than it does now.

If you took a note of the jam codes then I may be able to help you. Jamming everywhere could mean anything.

Your tech will have to adjust the output tray capacity.

How, my tech was just here and said no. I don't care what he says, im gonna just do it, can you tell me how?

Software switch 18-4 has to be set to 1. This has to be done in service mode. Professional courtesy prevents me from telling you how to get into service mode. Although "konica service mode access" seems to bring up a beavy of results on google.

The instructions for turning off the dehumidification fan is on page 5-15 of the POD administrators reference guide. I disabled it on both our 6501's.

If you don't have the manual:
Hit the Utility/Counter button and it's under Utility>User Setting>System Setting>Feed Tray Setting>Dehumidification Fan

We have a KM6500 and it likes to jam 100# uncoated cover.

Are the sheets getting fanned properly to remove excess static? Thats one of the first things we learned to prevent most jamming issues. Also make sure the stack isn't getting pinched at the top by the side paper guides. Thats what that little screw tab on the outside front of the tray is for. Have you tried another brand of paper? Our 100# Nekoosa cover stock runs both sides all the time without jamming and we have it set to run at 210/256 gsm.

Can anyone give me any good/bad feedback on this machine

Looking to do about 40,000 - 50,000 color impressions per month, and a lot of 80 and 100# cover

All feedback is welcome and appreciated about the machine in general

We're about 100,000 12x18 clicks a month. We got our first 6501 back in January and it worked out so well, we got a second one last month. For a production environment, I don't recommend getting anything less than the IC-304 front end with the spectro. It took me (prepress background with zero digital printing experience) about 3 months of learning how to fine tune stuff to really get the machine humming.

What would you say the max copies per month is for the 6501? I am just about ready to buy one and need to know if it can handle my volume for the next 5 years.

Thanks

What would you say the max copies per month is for the 6501? I am just about ready to buy one and need to know if it can handle my volume for the next 5 years.

Thanks

I think 100,000 is a good figure for one of these. I have had one go 140 but that is the exception rather than the rule. It is actually worse for a production engine to do less volume regradless of who makes it. A good example, we had a customer who did about 25k a month and we were in there every other day we even swapped the engine. Then we told him the only solution is to double his voulme which he laughed at with jest. Out of spite he did actually double his volume. Now we only have elected faults i.e the machine is calling us to replace a drum or dev.

I think 100,000 is a good figure for one of these. I have had one go 140 but that is the exception rather than the rule. It is actually worse for a production engine to do less volume regradless of who makes it. A good example, we had a customer who did about 25k a month and we were in there every other day we even swapped the engine. Then we told him the only solution is to double his voulme which he laughed at with jest. Out of spite he did actually double his volume. Now we only have elected faults i.e the machine is calling us to replace a drum or dev.

I dont agree on your lower volume assessment. I think great volumes for these are anywhere from 20K - 120K with peak months being higher. I have quite a few in the 60-120K range. I have a few running 300K but those are 24/7 operations and I think volumes like that are asking for trouble.

It's definitely a production machine ... but for an office environment, not a print shop.

We've averaged just under 30k a month in the year+ we've had it, and have experienced nearly all of the issues listed above, and nearly all of them on a recurring basis. We know our techs well.

Not to mention issues with the Creo front end.

It's definitely a production machine ... but for an office environment, not a print shop.

We've averaged just under 30k a month in the year+ we've had it, and have experienced nearly all of the issues listed above, and nearly all of them on a recurring basis. We know our techs well.

We did close to 200,000 on one last month, all SRA3. A mixture of uncoated, coated (offset), recycled and a mixture of different weights. It didn't break down once. We do see our engineers quite regularly for PMs, but they don't seem to mind. Maybe we're just lucky or had good training?

Do you know your operators well? Because techs aren't the ones running the machines.

Like I say, anything running under 30k will run like a pig.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back