Konica Minolta c5501 minor banding

andy1

Hi Guys,

I've taken the plunge and bought a KM c5501, I realise it's going to be out of date in a year but it does the job and is a great upgrade from my OKI machine. You can now welcome me into the world of 'proper' digital print, not trying to get an office-desk machine to do a light-production machines job :D.

I first ran a few jobs off perfectly, no issues whatsoever (which is a relief), however I've just noticed a minor banding issue that I know is not a characteristic because the demo machine didn't do it.

When I print red (100% M, 100% Y) on a job that only has minimal coverage of the SRA3 sheet (elsewhere is low or no coverage) I get horizontal banding. I printed a job of flyers with red headers and footers A5 4-up with no issues, but then I tried to print the same design in A4 2-up and the banding occurred (I also tried the A4 1-up portrait in centre of SRA3 sheet, it also produced banding). I've tried every setting I can find and every paper I've got, the only solution was to use the option to reduce toner coverage (not the 'economy' reduce usage option), but this made the print an orangey-red.

I must add the EFI ES1000 spectro calibrated colour does not produce the banding and it is a much darker (real) red, however it still doesn't match the A5 flyers and is more drastic a change than the orange shade produced by reduced toner.

I know the demo machine didn't do this because I printed a test block of white text in a red box, and the banding did not occur, yet it does appear on my c5501. Furthermore the red is perfectly formed, coloured and solid if I cover the whole sheet in it (although this does change the shade of red to a more orangey colour :confused:).

Presumably the usual teething problems but having the machine installed on a Friday means I'm out of the loop until Monday morning, and it's not such a major issue to cause a fuss about.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,
Andy

P.S. Not interested in anyone slagging KM off, genuine advice would be gratefully received.

P.P.S. Attached image shows banding (upper) and the perfect flyer printouts (lower). On screen the banding looks minor but on paper it stands out like a sore thumb (and I mean really badly) as the rest of the print is perfect. It looks like the Magenta isn't fusing properly but I don't know why. I have tried running a higher temperature by falsifying a higher gsm (had zero effect) and disabling gloss.

Attachments

• Scan11-04-02 0035.jpg
    Scan11-04-02 0035.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 273
Last edited:
It probably needs the charging coronas cleaned or changed. Could also be dust or foreign matter on the magenta drum.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back