Label printing: differance between Letterpres and flexo

Visar

Hi All,

I must buy a machine to produce labels but we are offset litho company and don't know much about technologies and I am confused.

Can anyone let me know the difference between flexo and letterpress machines and which direction should I go?

Thanks to all in advance,

Hi All,

I must buy a machine to produce labels but we are offset litho company and don't know much about technologies and I am confused.

Can anyone let me know the difference between flexo and letterpress machines and which direction should I go?

Thanks to all in advance,

I attended LabelExpo in Brussels - I don’t think there were any letterpress machines. Start with google to narrow down your question.

I attended LabelExpo in Brussels - I don’t think there were any letterpress machines. Start with google to narrow down your question.

In general, flexo uses an anilox roller to ink the raised plate surface. Letterpress uses a similar roller train as offset to ink the raised plate. The raised plate can ink the substrate directly or ink a blanket first. Not sure if the raised plate inking of the blanket is still called letterpress. Maybe letterpress offset? :)

As Gordon states, the industry does not tend to use letterpress designed presses that often. Although the letterpress concept is used for printing containers in the Dry Offset printing process.

The anilox ink feed is certainly simple but I also think that for flexo, a modern version of the letterpress inking system would be an interesting approach. It could use higher viscosity inks and it could have more colour stability than with the use of anilox roller feeds but the industry I think would not be happy with going in that direction since it seems like a backward step.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen,

Enlightenment regarding Flexographic Printing Process .................... PDFs for Erik to "Scorn" at again !!!!!!!!

Regards Alois

Why are you always trying to pick on me? Anyhow, it would be nice to read these PDFs but it is a bit hard when they come rotated 90 degrees. :)

I am sure they describe the process well. I do have some experience with flexo in the production of packaging material at Tetra Pak.

Letterpress Printing is the "godfather" of printing. It is the oldest printing technique. Right after the Gutenberg Press popularized movable type back in the 15th century, letterpress had been the predominant printing technique for five centuries.

In this method, a surface area with elevated letters is inked and hard-pressed to the top of the printing substrate to recreate a text or an image in reverse. To produce an impression, letterpress printers had to construct individual letters and characters into a "forme", secure them into a printing chase, and ink the type using a roller. A sheet of paper is placed over the inked type and slid beneath the press. A subtle pressure or force is then exerted by manually securing the screw. The ink will soon be migrated from the type (metal or wood) to the paper.

"The entire process of letterpress printing involves four phases"

> Composition
> Imposition
> Lock-up
> Printing

Offset Printing screen printing is a form of stenciling that initially gained popularity in China during the Song Dynasty (960-1279 AD). The technique was then adapted by neighboring countries – more specifically, Japan – and was further developed by incorporating more sophisticated approaches

The main advantage of screen printing is the fact that the top of the print recipient doesn't need to be leveled or flat. Also, the ink can stick to several materials like paper, fabrics, glass, wood, metal and even ceramics. As a result, screen printing is typically used various industries, which include:

> Party supplies (balloons, latex decors)
> Clothing
> Healthcare tools
> Decals
> Product labels stickers
> Signage
> Billboard displays
> Film and TV technology
> Sports graphics
> Printed electronics
> Fabric and textile

That's How I know it, I even tried the source where I tried the to purchase most of the Offset Printing here https://www.stickercanada.com/

Flexo is a relief printing technique similar to letterpress that employs rubber or soft plastic plates, a simple inking system and fast drying inks. Flexo printing allows the inked surface to conform to many kinds of substrates, such as butcher paper, natural kraft, newsprint, chip and linerboard and coated boards. It's the most flexible, or diverse type of printing process.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back