Lamination Peeling off after 2 to 3 months

ponnapati123

Hi,

We are using Thermal Lamination on our sheet fed printing sheets. Recently we observed lamination is peeling of after 2 to 3 months period. We use films 20 to 30 microns range always & we keep thermal cylinder temperature around 100 to 120 degrees Celsius.

I would like to know how to adjust temperature and Nip pressure according microns of the film, Gloss & Matt types. We generally keep littler higher temperature for Matt films.

How to adjust if paper GSM is vary.

Last edited:
Run speed is more of a factor than you are considering. On matte (especially soft touch) we have to run 10-15% slower to get good adhesion. We can't just turn up the temp and maintain the same speed. We do not adjust the nip pressure much for films/paper. We run a range of 80# cover to 24pt. We really struggle with litho label but we only have a few jobs a year on it.

I tried at varying speeds (25,30,35 m/min) at temperature 107 degrees Celsius to check lamination strength. After 3hrs i tried to peel off film from sheet unfortunately all sheets film peeled off without any ruptures. So is this problem bcoz of material ?

We have ran the gauntlet of lamination companies (GBC, KDX, D and K) and found that we have the best overall luck with translwrap. The next question is are the covers printed digital or offset. Fuser/fuser fluid is very difficult to adhere to and requires a "high tak or aggressive adhesive".

Dear Ponnapatti,

For complete solution for above problem.

kindly provide me the answers of below questions.

1. Roller pressure.
2. Temperature
3. Film microns
4. Speed
5. Lamination machine roller material steel or rubber
6. Print of which machine you are laminating.

Hi Mr. Tariq,

Thank you to your reply

Kindly find the following details about your questions ;

1. Roller pressure - 38 psi (2.8 bar)
2. Temperature - 110 Degrees Centigrade
3. Film microns - 25
4. Speed - 32 Meters/min
5. Lamination machine roller material steel or rubber - Steel
6. Print of which machine you are laminating - Autobond 74T

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back