Large Laminating / Coating job

IgnoreThem

Just received an order for 5000 5x7 double sided information cards (must be laminated). Just looking for advice on a machine that will allow you complete this job without manually "finish" cutting every card. This is a job that will be recurring with different information cards. As for now our printing shop only uses hot laminating roll to roll machines from USI. the project will be printed with Canon Image Press C700 on 120# 13x19 sheets. Cut down to 5x7 then laminated and trimmed. Looking for a way not to have to do the finishing trim.

Thanks in advance

Just received an order for 5000 5x7 double sided information cards (must be laminated). Just looking for advice on a machine that will allow you complete this job without manually "finish" cutting every card. This is a job that will be recurring with different information cards. As for now our printing shop only uses hot laminating roll to roll machines from USI. the project will be printed with Canon Image Press C700 on 120# 13x19 sheets. Cut down to 5x7 then laminated and trimmed. Looking for a way not to have to do the finishing trim.

Thanks in advance
I think your process is a little wrong. You should find a laminator that will flush cut. Fujipla 3222 I think is a small shop type system. Might be a little slow for your application. A d&K with knife would be ideal. But you should print the 13x19 sheet, laminate and then cut out the cards. I dont know if you'll find a system that will flush cut the 5x7 cards and it would be the least efficient way of doing it.

Not sure of the capability of your USI machine, however a roll laminator with automatic bursting capability is what you need. Preferably with automatic feeder as there's 1,250 sheets to go through either once if the laminator is duplex, or double that if not. A semi automatic (manual fed to gate) laminator will do the job, although won't be much fun for the operator.

We have a Vivid Matrix 370DP duplex SRA3+ laminator with Omniflow feeder which is perfect for this kind of job. The only thing to watch for is static when using gloss laminate to both sides - you need to watch the output stack and guide the sheets from time to time.

Once laminated, ideally leave them for 24 hours, then chop them up on the guillotine.

You could do the trimming on a Duplo or Uchida SCC machine if you have one. Slower than a knife, but works unattended and would probably take no more than a couple of hours.

The Fujipla machines are OK for light usage in schools and offices, however the hideously expensive prices of the mandatory OEM film are unlikely to work in any commercial print environment.

Not sure of the capability of your USI machine, however a roll laminator with automatic bursting capability is what you need. Preferably with automatic feeder as there's 1,250 sheets to go through either once if the laminator is duplex, or double that if not. A semi automatic (manual fed to gate) laminator will do the job, although won't be much fun for the operator.

We have a Vivid Matrix 370DP duplex SRA3+ laminator with Omniflow feeder which is perfect for this kind of job. The only thing to watch for is static when using gloss laminate to both sides - you need to watch the output stack and guide the sheets from time to time.

Once laminated, ideally leave them for 24 hours, then chop them up on the guillotine.

You could do the trimming on a Duplo or Uchida SCC machine if you have one. Slower than a knife, but works unattended and would probably take no more than a couple of hours.

The Fujipla machines are OK for light usage in schools and offices, however the hideously expensive prices of the mandatory OEM film are unlikely to work in any commercial print environment.
I agree with the Vivid Matrix. We have one and it's great. Don't have an automatic feeder so it's hand feed to gate for us, however on the occasion we have a bigger run like that, I get the headphones on and either listen to music or even watch a movie! It's not too bad. Don't know if Vivid sell where you are, but if not I've heard the D&K ones are good too with the knife cutter but have no first hand experience so not much help on that front.

Thanks for all the info. When I know for sure this is a recurring job will look at investing. I found a wholesaler with really fair pricing so I outsourced job.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back