Lifespan of Epson inkjet proofs

[email protected]

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has information on the useable lifespan of ink jets pros. How long are they color stable? Proofs are typically made on a 4900/Ultrachrome with Proofing Paper 240. To me, they seem to yellow over time even if kept from light. Any other observations?
-dan

From Espon:
Epson UltraChrome K3 ink has improved print permanence characteristics that provide lightfastness ratings of up to 108 years for color and over 200 years for black and white under rigorous industry accepted display conditions*. Epson UltraChrome K3 ink and Epson Genuine Media perform as a perfectly matched system that provides the industry's best combination of quality output and longevity enabling the display and sales of prints to the most demanding clients.

*Print permanence ratings based on accelerated testing of prints on specialty media, displayed indoors, under glass. Actual print stability will vary according to printer, media, printed image, display conditions, light intensity, humidity, and atmospheric conditions. Epson does not guarantee longevity of prints. For maximum print life, display all prints under glass or lamination or properly store them.

I couldn't find anything this specific about the HDR series (that refers to the previous K3 series). Below is what I could find about HDR.

Display Permanence Ratings c^
Epson UltraChrome HDR Ink
Color Up to 200 years
Black-and-White ears

c^ Display permanence rating based on accelerated testing of prints on specialty media, displayed indoors, under glass. Actual print stability will vary according to media, printed image, display conditions, light intensity, humidity and atmospheric conditions. Epson does not guarantee longevity of prints. For maximum print life, display all prints under glass or lamination or properly store them.

Epson Advanced Photographic Printer | Epson Stylus Pro 4900 Click on Detailed Specs.

I have some prints from an Epson9900 and 9800 in my home framed under glass. I have seen zero fade or issues. The oldest one is ~10 years old from the 9800.

Paper?

Paper?

Do you mean the paper is yellowing? That may be a whole 'nuther issue, than just "proofs" yellowing.

A certain paper may yellow whether its printed or not, on an Epson or any other proofer.

Does the proof have a media wedge/colour bar?

Was it certified and a copy of the measurements made?

Can you measure the colour bar using the same device once the proof has “yellowed”?

If so, compare the new measurements against the original (both substrate and ink combinations are usually included in the patches).

If not, try the above.

_____

When is the proof produced?

How many hours/days before the proof is supplied to the press?

How long after the above is one comparing the proof to the press?

How has the proof been stored during these times?

_____

I am wondering what the OBA/FA content of the paper is… What is the Lab reading for the “non yellowed” paper, when measured with an uncut/no uv filter spectro or a spectro set to M0 or M1 mode?

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Dan,

If you want to look further into this subject you can trawl through the mountain of information on one or all of these sites. They are probably three of the most reputable sources of information on image permanence. Epson references Wilhelm-research on their website. The Aardenburg-imaging website has a table of reports you can download for a very wide range of printer/ink/paper combinations including EPSON. It's a bit clunky because they rely on donations.

https://www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org

Wilhelm Imaging Research

Home (index) page

ENJOY!

Mark

Thanks for the replies all. It is possible changes in the paper itself that I'm concerned with more so than the inks. The permanence of the inks is well advertised but I hadn't found much info on papers. From Epson's 7900/9900 brochure "Outstanding short-term color stability for mission-critical
proofing applications" This may only mean that the color becomes stable quickly, not that the color is stable for a short while. The paper is spec'd from Epson as L95 a0 b-2 but I will be making measurements with a spectro from proofs of various ages as well as fresh media.
Inkjet proofs are stored in a folder (ph unknown) away from light but they are out and handled often. They may be pulled from storage in large envelopes a year or more after they've been made for re-use as color guidance at press. All proofs get verified via the built-in Idealliance scale through Oris rip. The plan is as Steve describes: retain measurement data from scales and Lab values of paper to look for shifts over time.
Thanks for the great links Mark
-dan

You hit on a key issue. Ask any woman who scrapbooks about paper and pH.

Since you're qualifying your proofs with a colorbar, could you generate new proofs for subsequent printings?

I suggested this considering the low cost and speed of an inkjet proof and may end up doing that, but I also committed to hunting/gathering some existing data.
-dan

I am doing some tests for giggles. It obviously depends on many factors and one paper/ink combo is not the same as another.

Comparing a print stored out of direct light in a draw but with no contact with other paper, to a print that has been left out under standard office fluro lighting.

I’ll post back with results when/if they are meaningful (after 2 days the fluro result has no significant deterioration, however this is good Fogra Certified proofing paper).

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back