Light weight sheetfed stock

CKL

We have a couple jobs coming up that will be on 35 # or 40 # uncoated stock.

I have not seen these stocks run sheet fed before.

Place mats and maps that I have run previously have been web.
Any suggestions or areas of concern other than the obvious paper handling/feeder trauma

Thanks

Make sure if you are cutting the stock for the press that the knife is very sharp and you may have to do smaller lifts. The first side seems to give the most feeding problems then the second side is not so bad. I think the clamp and blade from the cutter cause the sheets to bind and create havoc on the feeder

Ret Heidelberg Instructor

Ret Heidelberg Instructor

Sorry, I don't know to much about the Komori's but from I know from the industry they are a pretty good machine. Some of the problems you might encounter will be possible static and creasing while printing. Try and make sure you climatize the paper to room pressrorm befor you start. If possible get a good quality 35 or 40 lb paper. The feeder settings will be critical. I would suggest that you try a small bit to test before it becomes a nightmare. With this in mind I might also add that problems you incur on one day will not be there on another. Good luck, sorry that I don't have much else to offer.

Air settings are critical on the feeder. Also climatise your stock to your pressroom. We run 40gsm on our SM102 and had all sorts of creasing problems and sheets dropping. I had extra taps installed where we could control the air over and around the perfector that sorted our probs. Runs without missing a beat now.

light papers

light papers

Setting of the feedboard brushes, rollers and vacuum is critical. As light a touch as you can get. This will help eliminate wrinkling.
Don't know if your running cmyk or spot colors, but you may have to reduce your tack. these papers will disintegrate if your tack is too high.

Keep your lateral blowers on minimum, even turn off the secondary ones, as minimal blast through lightweight stock is fairly critical. Keep air thru the sheet to a minimum and give the sheets some room to seperate, ie dont try to pin the sheet down with the fingers..

Drop your cover lays to minimum height, and set your swing arm grippers to minimum as well, as the cover lay prevents the grip edge of the sheet riding up slightly and crinkling, and minimal opening on the swing arm alleiviates initial creasing.

Turn the sheet control blowers down through the press, as they can distort the sheet between units and cause you no end of fit issues at the tail end of the sheet.

Delivery is fairly simple just keep the fans heavier (relatively speaking!!) in the centre of the sheet to break it and let the edges just fall in (we run a 5/4/3.5 setting on del fans) and keep the #4 fan fairly low, as at too high a setting it can literally whip the tail edge and create small tears that turn into tear off's on the b/up pass...

A good Komori will eat lightweight stock all day...

HTH :)

more is not better when it comes to air management throughout the press. Im a firm believer in the minimum rule. That is you need to use the minimum amout of eveything to actually get the job done!!!! Starting from the feeder id say you need minimum air, to seperate the sheets. Minimum suction for the suckers to lift the sheet without picking up doubles. Minimum finger pressure on the seperators to prevent the feeder from picking up doubles. Minimum wheel pressure down the feedboard. mimimum air ttransport throughout the press. minimum air in delivery to deliver the printed sheet smoothly.
This minimum rule applies to ink, water, printing pressure, and everything else from feeder to delivery.
Any time i have any kind of problem on a press the first thing i look for is minimum whatever to get job the done!!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back