linking old preps files

rande

When I open an old preps file I need to go through multi-file to re link them is there a better way. I tried putting the .job in the link folder, that didn't work.

Is everything in the exact same location as it was when the job was made? When I pick up old jobs off an external drive, any files that were in a subfolder get lost unless I move the entire job folder back onto the original server.

No, just copy everything back to where it originally lived. Then Preps will be able to see the correct path to the files.

I believe your source file was not output centered, and the image is shifted .0625 downward. They can all be re-positioned at once, or you can make a new pdf or ps centered from the native app if you have them.

what would have shifted. I'm making PDF out of indd. refining them and putting them in the sig. What boundaries is it seeing?

The indd file not being centered on output to pdf, if it is centered there is something that's causing the file to output off center, possibly a bleed setting, hard to say exactly what w/o seeing indd file.

Are you asking whether Preps is using the Media size box in the PDF/FPO?
I believe that it is.

If you are opening an old Preps .job and the PDF/FPO has been changed then Preps will warn you that it has been changed. If the PDF/FPO is named the same, then depending on how you answer the warning box determines whether you have to relink each PDF/FPO.

another question.
IN my run list, what is wrong if, under "center" it has 0inx0.625?

This indicates that the trim size of your PDF (or whatever input file type you are using) is different than the trim size indicated in your Preps template by 1.25" vertically. When Preps centers it, it applies an offset of .625".

In other words, for instance, let's say your template is built with an 8.5x11 imposition. If you put an 8.5x11 file in your Run List and tell Preps to center it, there will be no offset because the 2 sizes match. In your case, the input file in your Run List is probably 8.5x12.25, so when you tell Preps to center it it applies the offset of .625.

Does that make sense?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back