Looking for a good freight carrier to ship my Xerox Versant 180

CliffSpielman

Hello all. I have a Xerox Versant 180 that I'm in the process of selling, but I'm new to shipping via freight and need to do some learning quickly.
Can anybody recommend a good freight carrier who knows how to safely pack and transport digital presses? I'm located in Albuquerque, NM but don't know yet to what location I'd be shipping the press.
Thx

I don't have a company name for you but I would suggest you contact your local sales office. They use 3rd party shipping companies for most equipment moves and deliveries. I'm not in your area but you for sure have a local equipment provider that could move that for you.

Mayflower Movers transported a few pieces of copier-type equipment for me without issue. You also may want to focus on someone who is "Air Ride" equipped for a gentler ride.

Have you already committed to being the responsible shipper? I've also sold equipment and left the transportation up to the buyer. Otherwise, I've sent with Uship.com and insured for full replacement value.

Have you already committed to being the responsible shipper? I've also sold equipment and left the transportation up to the buyer. Otherwise, I've sent with Uship.com and insured for full replacement value.
^^^ This.

Let the buyer arrange the transport. We sold a very old but perfectly working KM C352 MFP a couple of years ago, for something like £50 and ran test prints from all trays prior to it being collected by the buyer’s ‘man with a van’ who wheeled it 50m or so on tarmac to a van and then loaded it in on its back. A few days later we received an email saying one of the trays jams and what are we going to do about it. Sorry, but not our problem, your transport mistreated the machine.

I had good luck with Craters and Freighters. They crated and moved a Pitney Bowes DI-950 inserter for me at a reasonable cost. Maybe they can transport to NM.
I called Craters and Freighters and found the folks who answered the phone to be very personable and willing to answer questions. Since they're based on Pheonix, they're looking into whether they do Albuquerque pickups at all. So TBD.

^^^ This.

Let the buyer arrange the transport. We sold a very old but perfectly working KM C352 MFP a couple of years ago, for something like £50 and ran test prints from all trays prior to it being collected by the buyer’s ‘man with a van’ who wheeled it 50m or so on tarmac to a van and then loaded it in on its back. A few days later we received an email saying one of the trays jams and what are we going to do about it. Sorry, but not our problem, your transport mistreated the machine.
This approach would be my preferred approach, without a doubt. I just wasn't sure which is more common - for the buyer to be the responsible shipper, vs the seller. I imagine it increases my changes to sell the press if I facilitate the shipping. Not all potential buyers are going to know how to do it. Food for thought. I may just drop the price and focus again on trying to find a local buyer.

Mayflower Movers transported a few pieces of copier-type equipment for me without issue. You also may want to focus on someone who is "Air Ride" equipped for a gentler ride.

I haven't sold the press yet and have no committments. Currently my eBay listing doesn't offer shipping, just local pickup. I wanted to educate myself and possibly offer freight shipping. I'll check out Mayflower and Uship - thank you.

@CliffSpielman - keep that listing as you have it. Now you've mentioned you're selling on a certain auction site, all the more reason not to facilitate the shipping of a complex item. If just the slightest thing is wrong, their ruling always falls in favour of the buyer! I've encountered more intelligent invertebrates than some individuals in their resolution department. If your purchaser reports the item received as broken/incomplete because there's a single screw missing from the back panel of the finisher, they will automatically get a full refund.

@CliffSpielman - keep that listing as you have it. Now you've mentioned you're selling on a certain auction site, all the more reason not to facilitate the shipping of a complex item. If just the slightest thing is wrong, their ruling always falls in favour of the buyer! I've encountered more intelligent invertebrates than some individuals in their resolution department. If your purchaser reports the item received as broken/incomplete because there's a single screw missing from the back panel of the finisher, they will automatically get a full refund.
Good reminder

A little late to the game, but I only trust MOE (Moving Office Equipment). Copiers are their specialty. Wrap and strap. All states. Insured for damage. 5 warehouse hubs. That said, for an auction, I would only list them for convenience of the buyer. Always let them arrange transportation.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back