Looking for a good offline folder

SES

I need something that can handle stocks up to 300gsm as well as thin, staticy 80lb text gloss (~140gsm). Ideally, it would have pre-programmed standard folds (bi, tri, engineer) as well as the ability to plug in custom folds.

We typically bi-fold and tri-fold, but every now and then we venture into quad-folds, so if it could do quad-folds as well that would be a big plus.

Edit: This is one that I've been looking at... http://lyndeordway.thomasnet.com/it...zon-folders/standard-docufold-folder?&seo=110

Last edited:
Be sure to look for something with large diameter rollers. This will help with heavier stocks. I would suggest a nice floor-model folder like Craig suggested. Baum, MBO, Stahl are good options. In your price range however, expect a manual setup machine.

Before you purchase a folder you should do a study of what exactly you are trying to accomplish with a folder. I would consider experience, volume, and quality into the equation. I would have to agree with the comment on the larger diameter rollers. The problem with that is you will have to step out of the 20" market to get a 35mm diameter versus the 30mm and there will be a difference in the size of the machines. I have one customer that I finish some of his folding just because of this problem and he has a beautiful Baum 20" he runs daily. As for the automation, I am not so sure about the price of those things. I have seen a few of them now and it appears to me that the main purpose of purchasing one is it will help with lack of experience in your bindery. If that is your reason that is really a copout for either bad work ethics and mismanagement in a business. Put an expeirenced operator up against it with mechanical settings and automation will lose. I still have to stick with an MBO just for the spiral rollers and they are more user friendly to operate. You have plenty of options out there for you so research it and take your time doing so. 15k can easily get you a mid 90's MBO with a right angle ready to crank out some work. I have a beautiful T-49 collecting dust in the corner but that does have the 30mm rollers. Just FYI......

Good luck,

Another thing to consider is service for the folder. If you buy a new one, you probably will be able to get service either from the manufacturuer or from a third party, but in Edmonton, it has been a challenge finding great technichians to help maintain our older model.

I also wanted to comment on the suggestion to get one with large rollers - I think this is a must have if you want to minimize the number of jams you face.

Cheers,
JG

I need something that can handle stocks up to 300gsm as well as thin, staticy 80lb text gloss (~140gsm). Ideally, it would have pre-programmed standard folds (bi, tri, engineer) as well as the ability to plug in custom folds.

We typically bi-fold and tri-fold, but every now and then we venture into quad-folds, so if it could do quad-folds as well that would be a big plus.

Edit: This is one that I've been looking at... Item # Standard DocuFold Folder, Air Suction-Feed Paper Folder on Lynde-Ordway Mfg. Co.

The Morgana is the ONLY small / mid sized folder that will fold thicker than 65lb cover stock.

Mine was $38,000.00 new March of 2009.

Craig, what did you get for that price? Crossfold unit, automation, just the basic manual unit? I ask because I am looking into moving from a tabletop unit to a floor model and I am curious about what I can expect to get in that price range. What is the diameter of the fold rollers on that unit?

Does anyone have any brand advice such as Baum, MBO, or Standard? Are there certain features I should be paying special attention to that would make life easier in the future? Is automation worth it?

Last edited:
Automation would be worthwhile if your average folding runs are 5,000 or less, and multiple changeovers per hour. Otherwise, stick to a traditional folder.

All three companies you noted make a decent folder, although I personally prefer the MBO folders - (I am biased because I used to work for them). Create a budget based on the amount of folding you do, and dont go over it. There are some pretty smoking deals on lightly used equipment today (as much as I hate to say that), so take advantage.

HTH

MBO B118 (T460) versus Baum 20.

The Baum is a little wider but both would be wide enough for any application I would need.
I beleive the Baum doesn't require you to lift fold plates to turn them into defelctors. Is this a big deal?
The MBO has 35mm fold rollers I can't find the diameter of Baum's on the web. Does anyone know?

Does anyone have any input on the pluses or minus of either one of these folders? Such as, is one better at handling static, is one easier to set-up for different jobs, does one have a better feeder than the other, is one easier to access and align creasing/slitting wheels?

Last edited:
MBO B118 (T460) versus Baum 20.

The Baum is a little wider but both would be wide enough for any application I would need.
I beleive the Baum doesn't require you to lift fold plates to turn them into defelctors. Is this a big deal?
The MBO has 35mm fold rollers I can't find the diameter of Baum's on the web. Does anyone know?

Does anyone have any input on the pluses or minus of either one of these folders? Such as, is one better at handling static, is one easier to set-up for different jobs, does one have a better feeder than the other, is one easier to access and align creasing/slitting wheels?

Go with the MBO. Baum is 30mm I am almost sure. Your setup time will not change with shaft diameters but with a large roller 2 things come to the top of my head. Less chance of face cracking if you do some work cross grain and the product will not have as much curl after it is processed. As for the 0-makeready plates, you can get those with an MBO but that just is not a deal breaker. And other things can come up used for the MBO that may not for the Baum (Gatefold, additional units)

Good luck.

Jumping on the thread, I'm thinking of adding another folder - anyone have experience of a Horizon AFC-566AKT (6 buckles/1 cross knife with 2 buckles)? It seems more automated than a Stahl (for example), but are there any disadvantages?

If this is the same folder I was looking at there was something strange about the cross knife/buckle setup. I think it limited the types of folds out of the 8 page(2 years doesn't seem that long ago, memory is shot!) Take a look at that though. Also I would bet a decent operator could setup a manual folder nearly as fast at the automation and save a LOT of coin. I have done as many as 9 different setups in one day on my Baum 2020 some for as few as a couple dozen sheets. (lots of digital work here)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back