Looking for a modern "basic" Workflow.

QTab

Hello,
My current workflow is Nexus PDF. I is OLD.
Its not smart enough" to process to process some of todays art files.
I worked extensively with Xitron to add to my current Presstek Navigator RIP to take advantage of that very underutilized RIP.
By the time it was said and done, I guess I'll fault myself. I didnt have everything I needed, so the price was going to go up yet again.
I pulled out of that deal, only to start the process over again. My workflows are quite simple, and I dont need anything too robust.
The hardware is old, the software is at end of life, I just want to keep going. Is there something very basic and simple out there to output 1 bit tiffs in process and spot to a platesetter??
I need CIP 3 output as well.
Thanks,
I hope this makes sense to someone reading this.
Im frustrated as hell.

Hmmmm.
Dying software industry because the stand alone versions can't 'net' as much as the bundled versions for the companies involved.
Think about the engines (not big iron anymore) that ALL come with RIP's.
Add to that the locking up of copyright by the like of Adobe and EFI.
And the constant updates required because of the file structure changes (cough, Adobe PDF, cough)
Xitron MIGHT be the best bet regardless of pricing.

Hmmmm.
Dying software industry because the stand alone versions can't 'net' as much as the bundled versions for the companies involved.
And the constant updates required because of the file structure changes (cough, Adobe PDF, cough)
Well its not pricing as much as it seems to be that nobody wants to come on site, (it seems) to see what Im currently doing and put together a system around that.
Agfa promises a solution incorporating press tune among other products but they wont come on site to put anything in place even as a trial. I'm not used to installations like this. Staff have questions and no one is here to address them, its another email, remote in, or phone call or text. Nothing seems to get done timely, and what I mean by that is real time, when it arises.
If anyone knows of a company that can do any thing close to this, they will undoubtedly earn my business.
I'm sure its still done this way, it must be some of the staffing in my territory that puts me at a great disadvantage. Hell, if I could find a Nexus guy that could come out and rescue my current RIP, I'd be ok with that.
Just reaching here.
Dan

Hmmmm.

For the record, development of the PDF format for over a decade (since 2008) has been driven by ISO and not Adobe.

For the record, development of the PDF format for over a decade (since 2008) has been driven by ISO and not Adobe.
The development of the standard, yes.
The constant changes to the Adobe Acrobat program which can cause significant issues in our industry?
Sorry - I misconstrued the changes to Acrobat as changes to the standard.
It is possible that Adobe is just following the ISO standard as best as they can.
Acrobat is now much more platform agnostic than it was in 2008 - to the chagrin of MAC users.
And the plug in architecture has remained fairly stable.
Which gets me to a real question for Adobe, is the plug-in api part of the ISO standard?
:)

Well its not pricing as much as it seems to be that nobody wants to come on site, (it seems) to see what Im currently doing and put together a system around that.
Agfa promises a solution incorporating press tune among other products but they wont come on site to put anything in place even as a trial. I'm not used to installations like this. Staff have questions and no one is here to address them, its another email, remote in, or phone call or text. Nothing seems to get done timely, and what I mean by that is real time, when it arises.
If anyone knows of a company that can do any thing close to this, they will undoubtedly earn my business.
I'm sure its still done this way, it must be some of the staffing in my territory that puts me at a great disadvantage. Hell, if I could find a Nexus guy that could come out and rescue my current RIP, I'd be ok with that.
Just reaching here.
Dan
There are still a few prepress consultants around.
Where are you?

I would absolutely go with Xitron Navigator with the CIP3 plug in or it's equivalent through another Harlequin based RIP producer. I think it's the simplest, most cost effective, yet perfectly capable system. Anything is tough on a budget these days.

Sales has changed big time. Esko for example. Seems the best way to never hear from a salesman again is to buy something from them. Support for products has become just as challenging. The industry has become watered down and the skilled, qualified people are dropping off or aging out.

I'm going to assume you are a small to mid sized plant. Sales teams don't seem to have much interest in us and likely don't want to invest the time and now limited resources it takes to make a smaller sale.

I digress. I was a long time Nexus user and I now use Illustrator with Esko Deskpack and Xitron Navigator to CTP. Simple, straight forward and effective. I can't recall all the relabeled Harlequin RIP resellers, but maybe someone will be more cost effective than Xitron. I've used Xitron for years over multiple plants. Their support and service is good.

I would absolutely go with Xitron Navigator with the CIP3 plug in or it's equivalent through another Harlequin based RIP producer. I think it's the simplest, most cost effective, yet perfectly capable system. Anything is tough on a budget these days.
Happy Xitron user here. (Using their blue box 1bit tiff shooter only)

Hello,
My current workflow is Nexus PDF. I is OLD.
Its not smart enough" to process to process some of todays art files.
I worked extensively with Xitron to add to my current Presstek Navigator RIP to take advantage of that very underutilized RIP.
By the time it was said and done, I guess I'll fault myself. I didnt have everything I needed, so the price was going to go up yet again.
I pulled out of that deal, only to start the process over again. My workflows are quite simple, and I dont need anything too robust.
The hardware is old, the software is at end of life, I just want to keep going. Is there something very basic and simple out there to output 1 bit tiffs in process and spot to a platesetter??
I need CIP 3 output as well.
Thanks,
I hope this makes sense to someone reading this.
Im frustrated as hell.
I have an 8.13 Prinergy system I can train & install if interested. It has preps, cip3, and every thing you need to run a complete prepress operation. [email protected]

A quick off-topic...
Does the Blue box need a dongle to shoot the 1bit tiff files, or does it work without one?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back