looking for advise on buying 20 inch used cutter

crossroads

anyone out there have experience with triumph hydraulic or electric cutters? They seem to cost a lot less than similiar sizzed Challenge titan cutters. I also noticed i can get a better deal with the plexiglass glass safety cover instead of light beams. Would i be able to remove the cover and bypass the switch. Getting a big cutting job done with the glass there is obviously a pain. all input is welcome.
Thank you

Hi crossroads

If you buy an older machine you should go first of all by the experience of the other users. This means what is a good brand, what is about the spare parts, how to get correct service, etc.

If it comes to safety and you live in the US you can do whatever you want. Confirm to US law you as the person who is changing safety; take the whole responsibility of the complete safety design of the machine. In case of an accident it is your problem.
I am assuming if you could bypass any safety function just by a little wire, the machine (if the machine is not older 30 years) was never build confirm to US law. US law says since I am working with cutters (and this is about 30 years) that this type of machines (cutters) have to be built by the highest know law. Highest known law would be a safety circuit you can’t just bypass. But I don’t know Challenge and Triumph.

Let’s go back to reality.
How often do you cut the big sheets?
Will this change in the future?
What is a good deal?
What if the cutter breaks down?
Maybe a machine with light barrier is better?
Did you try other sources like the Baum or Polar cutters? I am asking because in the US you have a lot of former Heidelberg engineers, which are providing good service.

Buntpapier

I had a triumph cutter in the past that had a severe hardware issue that no one was able to fix. They worked on the boards and did all sorts of technical things and it was just dead. I would stay away.

I have heard nothing but good things about challenge cutters.
Spend more now and have an excellent cutter for a very long time.

Also NEVER modify safety systems. I have met many older printers missing fingers over the years. Find a machine with a safety system you can live with.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back