Looking for RIP recommendations

pacart

I am looking for recommendations on a couple of companies to get quotes from for a new RIP. We currently use Nexus 9.0.3 and have received a quote from Esko for Imaging Engine RIP with all the Software, hardware, Training, Installation and Service Contract. I don't really have any knowledge of other RIP options out there since I have only dealt with this Nexus RIP for the last 9 years.

We would like something that is drag and drop, PDF based and very simple. We have 3 2-color presses and make our plates with a 2-up SCREEN Image setter.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Look at the Harlequin options. We purchased our Harlequin based workflow through Xitron. I've used them for years and like them well enough. They call theirs Navigator.

Last edited:
Xitron Harlequin workflow will be a great option. It has a modular structure that can be tailored to your printing production needs.
We are Xitron dealers. Please send me a PM or call me if you want to know more.

Peter Warzecha
Viprofix
[email protected]
+1-773-545-7700 ext. 217

Harlequin does have alot of features for most work, but since you have been using Nexus, you may have some specialized packaging workflows that modify PDF or other files for your purposes. Factors like type of work , complexity, integration with other external/internal systems will dictate the structure and organization you require. An example might be how to handle direct reprints verses just looking for a new rip. Depending on your needs does Phoenix or Impostrip make sense for generating layouts. Nexus does alot more than a product to generate composite PDFs or screened Tiff files for plates

We don't have anything fancy, we are a fairly small shop and all i need is a straight forward RIP. The only workflows we have are "trapping", "no trapping" and "send to imagesetter"

Pacart, I work for Hybrid Software. We utilize the Harlequin RIP which has been proven to be the fastest RIP in the industry by MIT. I would be happy to talk to you about details and pricing. Please feel free to send me a PM via the site and we can talk.

Taking into account that you already have Nexus and you want drag-and-drop, the best SW setup would be Shuttle->FlexRIP (or Imaging Engine). You wrote that you have "trapping" and "no trapping" tickets. This means that you have trapping module in Nexus probably. So, just switching to some other RIP can break your current workflow. And about the proposal you had - you were confused by the price? Anyway, upgrade should be cheaper than a "brand-new" RIP.

Last edited:
Nice to see the Xitron Navigator recommendations. We try hard to get people the functionality they need without over-burdening their budgets. Thank you Peter and Shenkadere for chiming in. Pacart, we do drive the Screen imagesetters directly and we'll be happy to help you with any questions or a demo whenever you're ready.

Bret Farrah
Xitron

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back