Looking for user input on User Forums ...

GordoMac

G'day.

If a Major printing company was to create their own on-line community forums for their particular output devices, what kind of features would you like to see? What kind of things would you rather not see?

Looking forward to any input.

Thanks.
GordoMac

Re: Looking for user input on User Forums ...

Would the forums be available to customers? employees? or vendors/suppliers? or other printers with similar set-ups?

If customers, I see a forseeable problem with it just becoming a possible dumping ground for customer complaints. I.E. "they told me they could print them for $x and then turned around and charged me extra because....." or "they always have problems matching color from job to job, does anyone else have this problem?"

If the forums were just for output devices, who would have access? Would you open it up to the competition who have the same setup to help them solve problems they may be having? would the vendors/suppliers have access to troubleshoot the devices remotely? (which would be a cool feature)

My major question is, do you think there would be much traffic to the forum since it's dealing only with the particular equipment the the company uses?

<OBJECT id=NoteCtrl style="DISPLAY: none" classid=CLSID:5B13805A-8164-11D3-AA48-0000C0D98DCF></OBJECT>Thanks for the input Kevin. I will do my best to address your questions/concerns.

The forums are going to be for customers who already own a particular pre-press solution. We want it to be stimulated with customer issues just like the ones you mentioned.

Say, for example customer "A" just purchased a particular piece of equipment and has an issue or concern and they pose the question in our forum, then we're hoping Customer "B" who has already owned the product for a much longer period of time, or is more up to speed on the ins and outs of the product, would be able to address customer "A"s issues.

I would have to say yes to your question about competition, vendors and suppliers. Remote support, I dunno, but whoever owns, sells or supports this equipment would be the backbone of these forums.

To your question about traffic, we are hoping it will be minimal at first as it is for a product that has not even launched yet. So as the install base of this product grows, the owners of this product will have a place to bounce real world issues off of without having to wade thru websites, call sales reps or engage phone support. And then ideally, the option to get Live professional support for the product on the spot - but nothing is etched in stone yet.

This is in very early development and we're only gathering information on what people would like to see in a forum based community for digital pre-press environments.

Thanks again for your input.

Edited by: GordoMac on Jul 24, 2008 2:38 PM

Gordo,

I have a few comments about your endeavor. Let us say customer A buys a machine from company A. Customer A has nothing but problems with the machine or product he bought from Company A. He comes to your forum to vent and tell the real truth about the product company A sold him and the problems with service etc. Will Company A be able to bring a law suit against customer A for the negative comments he makes in your forum?
A true forum is a place where you share both the good and bad aspects of a product without fear of being sued by some deep pocketed company that threatens to sue the posting person for his beliefs and experience with the problem product.
Many big companies use products like http://www.cyveillance.com that crawl the web looking for info on their products and posts etc. So watch your back and good luck with your project.

OG

Thanks for your comments OG.

No sueing will be taking place - we have legal representation helping us with all of this. I will share the info you have provided.

The forum is for the voice of the customer. God, bad, ugly, whatever the voice is, it will be.

Also, if it's due to problems with the equipment they bought, then their concerns will be adressed and resolved. This is no fly by night company by any means. Their products are the best in digital pre-press environments and we're trying to re-shape how customers can access information faster and in a more direct manner.

Again, let me re-itterate that we're only in the gathering information phase of this product and it is with these exact kind of comments that will help shape our forums.

Thanks again.

Gordo.

Hi again all.

Originally, I had started this thread to gather the voice of the customer.

I am really looking for what users like about forums - like what features - ratings - chat - direct support - search - things like that.

Also looking for things people may not like about forums.

Thanks for any input anyone may have.

Gordo.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back