Loosing Image (Maya Processor)

Sammy777

Hi,

Im fairly new to this whole CTP stuff, but i think i can fairly say there's a problem that when my plate comes out of the developer its loosing its image (looks sort of like scratch marks?)

We've tried adjusting the pre heat seting both up and down, replacing the developer in the bath and adjusting pressure settings on the cleaning rollers etc.

any ideas what the problem could be and what i could try to fix it?

Hi,

Im fairly new to this whole CTP stuff, but i think i can fairly say there's a problem that when my plate comes out of the developer its loosing its image (looks sort of like scratch marks?)

We've tried adjusting the pre heat seting both up and down, replacing the developer in the bath and adjusting pressure settings on the cleaning rollers etc.

any ideas what the problem could be and what i could try to fix it?
Dear Sammy777,
From your descreption it seems you are using Violet Photo Polymer plates. Please check the compatibility of your developer with the plates. Are they from the same brand? The image adhession propery is poor on the plate. You can also try by increasing the pre-heat temperature.
Thanks

Hi,

Sammy777, again what type of plates do you use and what chemistry ?

Yeah, it is the fujifilm violet plates we're using. The chemistry is of the same brand (recommended developer by the suppliers for those particular plates).

The problem now though is we've managed to get the plates to hold their image we're just getting vertical lines through them which show up on the press. I wish I could show just how bad these lines really are (they dont come out as well on the photograph)

LegoMan777

we've tried sending one of our exposed plates through another processor with still the same problem, so it obviuosly not a processor issue?

Sammy you initially described the plates not holding image properly, what did you do to improve this ? Just increased the laser intensity ? It's important to specify what platesetter you have, flatbeds and internal drum have very different exposure systems. Having looked at the picture attached I don't think the processor is causing the problem. Skew the plate not more than 5 degrees by hand before the plate enters the processor, if the bands come out perfectly vertical on the plate it's the platesetter. If (IF) it's the processor, this sort of vertical banding can only be produced in the dev section by either worn out brushes (hardly), or circulation issues. If it's the circulation I would check the spray bars in the dev bath properly seated, unobstructed spray holes, pump in good condition, good dev temperature stability. What I mean by this is developer with uneven concentration gradient, temperature, poor mixing or obstructed dev filter can in theory produce a smooth wavy left to right vertical bands like the ones described. In essence, some areas are not processed enough. I saw this once or twice in a few years, albeit not so bad looking. You can take a sponge or rag soaked with fresh developer and rub twice on the dry exposed plate in large circular motions, applying moderate pressure voila, good uniformity again.
But coming back to your problem I believe it's the platesetter. If it's a fuji internal drum you might need assistance from a service guy to check the traverse system.

When you say "check the traverse system" What exactly are you reffering to by that? its u luxel image setter (the drum type as you are reffering to).

To fix the image holding to the plate, we took the water out the developer? someone decided to do a "test" by weaking the PH of the developer by putting water into it, changing pre heater temps higher also helped with that.

We having problems as well with the linearisation as well, we run an uncalibrated plate (which is extremely far off) then input those values to adjust the curve, after then running a calibrated plate the readings are just as far off?

Last edited:
When you say "check the traverse system" What exactly are you reffering to by that? its u luxel image setter (the drum type as you are reffering to).

To fix the image holding to the plate, we took the water out the developer? someone decided to do a "test" by weaking the PH of the developer by putting water into it, changing pre heater temps higher also helped with that.

We having problems as well with the linearisation as well, we run an uncalibrated plate (which is extremely far off) then input those values to adjust the curve, after then running a calibrated plate the readings are just as far off?

You are not supposed to tweak the processor settings, leave the dev concentration as it is. The preheat never requires recalibration or adjustments, once it's set properly for that specific type of plate LPNV or whatever you have 0.30 mm gauge it's fine for years. Don't ever bother fiddling with preheat it's a complete waste of time, the preheat is perfectly stable and consistent with Heights processors. Traverse system is the carriage moving the spinner across the plate during imaging, your luxel engine seems to require maintenance. Bring the fuji service guy in and do a uniformity test after that to confirm correct exposure, i.e. a checkerboard 50 percent tint full size maximum plate size you have, process it and see how it looks.
The Maya never needs anything than basic cleaning and adjustments at each chemistry change. Drive system (rubber rollers) must be correctly adjusted for pressure, look for worn out bushings once i a while, check both dev brushes correct pressure left to right and clean the circulation system properly i.e. spraybars and the 50 micron filter that MUST be replaced every chem. change and your're done. It's a perfectly stable reliable processor, never causes problems if properly maintained. Good luck and come back with results.

Again, do your homework, read the manuals and do it by the book. Dev must be checked with a pHmeter, this will tell you if replenish values are set correctly and developer activity is best. Redo preheat calibration with thermal strips then NEVER play with the settings unless you change plate type.

Last edited:
Happy New Year to all, I trust you all had a good one? Now back to work to try and fix our machines :)

We've since recently discovered that the source to the lines we're getting is in fact from the processor.. The brush rollers in the developer bath have definitive lines from the brissles, (you can actually see the lines in the ripple effect in the bath..) most probably due to wear? Or are they supposed to be like that?

My only idea would be to actually replace these rollers? But we cant seem to find a source for ordering more in South Africa.. Would there be any other options to ry get around this issue without having to replace the rollers?

Yep, dev brushes need to be replaced every 1.5-2 years depending on usage especially if using multiple plate formats - small plates come out aligned in the same position from the online ctp and wear the brushes so that larger plates will eventually get a vertical line/band in the image. Stop the processor and pass your hand across the brushes, if you feel the smallest threshold at some point they're gone. Don't waste time trying to increase the brush pressure to compensate. We always order replacement brushes from Heights price is very good about a third of Glunz price for raptors.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back