Low cost estimating solution

rpp

Hello all,
I am new to this forum and website.
I recently joined a startup corrugated carton converter and offset printing press.

One of the first projects i've undertaken is to implement an automated estimate solution for enquiries.

So if you guys could suggest any low cost MIS solution for such an activity.

Thanks

I have worked with many small to mid-size print companies, and this is some of what I have learned. I don't know anything about you and your specific situation, but perhaps you might find some of this useful.

You didn't give much info in your post, and perhaps you have already done this, but it is critical that you understand why you want a system and what you hope to achieve with it. The greatest benefits from systems like this are: Centralization (all records in a single place), automation (for example: auto sequencing of quote numbers, easy to replicate an existing quote, pre-determined special client pricing & discounts) and standardization (for example: consistent pricing rules, consistent product rules & processes). Which of these is your top priority?

It sounds like you are very small now. How many concurrent users to you expect to use the system during peak usage?

Are you planning on growing? If so, how quickly? How much larger do you expect to be in 6 months? 12 months? 24 months? Be sure that the system you chose can accommodate this growth. Ideally your system will not only accommodate you, but will actually help you meet your growth goals.

What other functionalities do you need now, or will need in the short term? Leads / Contacts management, work order management, scheduling & capacity, invoicing & AR, etc.

Are you really ready for an estimating system? Do you have the time and the resources to get it up and running? A well implemented estimating system is going to require that you get all of your prices rules loaded into it. If standardization is your primary goal, but you don't know what those price rules are, and can't clearly define them, most systems won't be much help, as all estimates will still need to go through the review process that you currently use. Remember that the cost of the software (what you pay to the software vendor) is a small part (less than 25% in most cases) of the total cost of what it takes to get it up and running.

Are you ready to be pigeon-holed? Implementing an "industry standard" or vertical system locks you in that industry. If you have areas of your business that aren't handled by the industry standard software, you will need to manage those areas outside of your software (perhaps with another software system). If you have workflows or processes that are unique to you, are you willing to give that up in order to run the industry standard system as pre-determined by them? Implementing vertical systems leads to a loss of competitive advantage as all companies fully running these systems are forced to run their businesses in very similar ways. Don't underestimate the uniqueness of your business and the value of your differences from you competition.

Perhaps (and this is only a "perhaps") a better investment for you would be to not spend any money on software, but spend time building a system outside of any software (creating rules, writing policy, identifying & documenting processes, etc.). At first, this system would be executed on paper (spreadsheets, paper work orders, email confirmations, etc.). It would all be handled by you and would give you the flexibility to change it and continuously improve it. Once you have a good system in place, then start shopping for software that would support this existing structure and strategy, and give you the flexibility to always change and improve as needed.

I realize that what I am saying sounds like a massive task, and it is, but this is what building a well managed and competitive business is all about. No company should be limited by their MIS system.

does any such software exists as an online system that can be used by reps on both, mac and win pc?

low cost MIS

low cost MIS

Depends on your idea of low cost? We use Printsmith, which functions on Mac and PC simultaneously. I won't tell you it is perfect, but we didn't pay an arm and a leg for it and it has done pretty much what we expected it to do.

Like SnappySteve we use Printsmith also. It will set you back about $3000 and then there is the yearly maintenance fee, I think it's $500. I'll double check and confirm later.

My company uses EFI Logic Estimating 3 module. We use this because it ties into the many of Logic modules we use and it saves a lot of time when trying to estimate any type of job, whether complicated or simple.

We use franklin estimator. All prices are based on a national average and we have found the pricing it gives us to be very competitive.

Hands down you need to look at the Morning Flight software. I downloaded the system a few months ago and have been pleased with it's ease of use and depth......plus it is FREE......I looked at around 6-7 other programs (Franklin being one of them) but found Morning Flight Gold edition to handle everything that the others programs will do.

QuoteWerks

QuoteWerks

Just to self identify I do work for QuoteWerks and it may be a program you want to look at. It's sales quoting software which stores products in a central database and allows you to build quotes for customers using line items. Many of our customers create "estimates" rather than quotes and the program is very easy to use although it is not free. However, you can download the program for free and try it out. Click on the link in my signature to go to our home page and download the demo. Send me a PM if you have any other questions.

list of print estimating software

list of print estimating software

I have a website with links to many suppliers of print estimating software, consultants, and related articles. It may help you find software and information about using it. I am the developer of PowerQuote Print Estimating Software and this resource allows me to offer more general information to printers than my product website can offer. The website is : Print Estimating Software Resource Center

Last edited:
Franklin is a good place to start, but don't waste your money renewing your rates every year. I have been a user for over 20 years and they increase there rates by 1.5 to 3% a year, overall. The only year they didn't was in 2009 when prices decreased by 1%.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back