Low Density of film on Hercules

nineville

Dear All,

I have an Hercules Imagesetter. The film after processing the black solid is not 100%. It faints. The density is low. How do I change the exposure settings on the Hercules ? How do i get to the exposure control on the Hercules Pro? Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Niin.

its been a long time since we got rid of our herk . . . but as I recall there was a utility from the delta software that let you run light, filter, focus. . . but i would first check your processor since i only had to run the light/filter/focus setting program once maybe twice in the 8 years we had the herk . . . try running a piece of film exposed to room light through the processor to see if the developer is dead before anything else . . . . I don't even have the books for the herk anymore . . . brain cell tired now . . . good luck

You change the density using different filter options. This is changes at the RIP, such as Delta or Halequin. You should be able to print a filter test and pick the best setting for you.

This should be done in combination with checking your dev/fix mix!

After reading Wayne's comment, I think this is most likely the issue. Just for ref here's some more info:

Causes & cures:
Dead (old) Dev - replace Dev
Wrong mixture of Dev (depends if you use concentrate or not) - replace Dev
Dev temp - check/change heater, check change heater fuse
Dev replenish rate - change to a slower rate
Time of film on dev bath - change to more time in bath

If everything above is correct, then run filter test on your RIP. This is esp important, when changing brands of film, or after replacing certain parts in your Herk (laser, some boards).

Hope this helps

I've had this same problem with a Herk. A restart or 3 usually cleared it up for me. Of course I only wound up trying it after spending an hour confirming the developer and processor were good.

Good Luck!

You are all right by your submissions. However the problem in this case has to do with the Laser, focus and filter settings on my Harlequin which can only be carried out by using calibration tool from manufacturer like High-water etc Not with the developer or processor because other resolution like 1200 and 1693 are okay only 2540 that is filter=0.
How can I buy a license for this Harlequin calibration tool or anybody that has to sell can mail me on [email protected]. Will be expecting your feedback.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back